Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dependent ssn wrong on 2018 e-filed return - how to fix?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dependent ssn wrong on 2018 e-filed return - how to fix?

I'm now retired but have a question. Daughters 2018 already filed return has the wrong SSN for a dependent son. The IRS did not reject the efiled return. A non-dependent son's SSN was used by mistake. Now the non-dependent son can not claim himself until this is fixed.

What is the easiest was to fix this? An amended return? By phone? Something else?

Thanks in advance--

Don B

Daughter needs to amend ASAP and mail. Son needs to file an extension. When daughter's amendment is finally processed, son can file. Anyone know how quickly IRS is processing amendments this year? 12-16 weeks? Has anyone had son paper-file in this situation with success?

Comment

Originally posted by Lion View Post
      Daughter needs to amend ASAP and mail. Son needs to file an extension. When daughter's amendment is finally processed, son can file. Anyone know how quickly IRS is processing amendments this year? 12-16 weeks? Has anyone had son paper-file in this situation with success?
      Non dependent son tried e-file which was rejected. Extension was sent today.

Comment

Originally posted by DonB View Post
        I'm now retired but have a question. Daughters 2018 already filed return has the wrong SSN for a dependent son. The IRS did not reject the efiled return. A non-dependent son's SSN was used by mistake. Now the non-dependent son can not claim himself until this is fixed. Don B
        I am guessing it did not reject as the SSN matched the last name. Since it processed, 1040X is the answer with explanation, not new1040 which will not process. Lion is correct. Once the amendment is processed, which can now be checked on-line, son can e-file. I had one with no change in tax last year, (dependent-claimed-self-situation,) and it processed within 6 weeks. It was an IRS error. Dependent mailed return in and did not claim herself, but IRS did when they input it. Moral: always let preparer do both returns and e-file.

Comment

Working...
        X