Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How compensate client for delayed refund - my mistake?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How compensate client for delayed refund - my mistake?

Long time client, both business and 1040 returns, signed up for health insurance through the exchange for one month only, Dec 2018. Rest of year was covered with S-corp shareholder health insurance, so I didn't notice the one month change, plus I managed to overlook the 1095-A that client provided to me. Client has large refund almost $20K -- five kids w/ refundable Child Tax Credit, plus for various reasons even though AGI was $130K, tax liability was zero, so all withholding comes back in the refund. Now IRS is holding refund because of missing Form 8962.

What would you offer this client by way of compensation for my error? Interest on delayed $20K for two months would be about $100, but I'm pretty sure he was counting on having that money sooner for other reasons than just investment. On the other hand, the fact that he could get direct deposit of refund is pretty unusual, since IRS will normally insist on paper check for refunds over $10K when tax liability is zero.
    "You said it, they'll never know the difference. Come on, we'll paint our way out!" - Moe Howard

When I screw up I offer my client reimbursement for interest and penalty, free 1040X or whatever is required to fix the problem and one additional of free tax prep.

So far most have told me ok. just do our tax prep free and pay the interest because I got the penalties waived. They have stuck with me since.
    Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

To clarify, there is no penalty or interest involved. Client is still going to get the full refund eventually, just not as quickly as expected -- maybe two months' delay. And the refund was a special handling case even without my error, IRS does not normally direct deposit refunds in taxpayer's situation.
      "You said it, they'll never know the difference. Come on, we'll paint our way out!" - Moe Howard

Comment

Originally posted by Rapid Robert View Post
        To clarify, there is no penalty or interest involved. Client is still going to get the full refund eventually, just not as quickly as expected -- maybe two months' delay. And the refund was a special handling case even without my error, IRS does not normally direct deposit refunds in taxpayer's situation.
        Paper checks would take 4+ weeks, right (not sure, asking)? So the refund would have been delayed anyway, I'm not sure you need to offer anything in this situation.

Comment

How is the interest “....Interest on delayed $20K for two months would be about $100....” ? Sounds like a good deal.
          Give the client a small gift.
          Always cite your source for support to defend your opinion

Comment

Offer some or all of the prep fees back. No interest on the refund.

Chris

Comment

Since this is a long term client you probably have a pretty good idea of how they see this. My policy is that clients pay me to prepare their returns accurately. In situations where I screw up I either refund 50 or 100% of my fees. In this case I would go 50% unless client used their time to track down why their refund was delayed in which case it would be 100%.

Comment

Originally posted by ATSMAN View Post
                When I screw up I offer my client reimbursement for interest and penalty, free 1040X or whatever is required to fix the problem and one additional of free tax prep.

So far most have told me ok. just do our tax prep free and pay the interest because I got the penalties waived. They have stuck with me since.
                Same here. As long as its not an astronomical mistake. If thats the case then an added gift card to Red Robin !! Yummm !!! Just kidding. But OMG Im looking forward to next Tuesday and a burger there !!

Comment

Actually, won't an amended return need to be filed? If IRS is saying 8962 is required, it would appear they received APTC. Taking that into account, it seems like the tax/refund would change.

Comment

Originally posted by kathyc2 View Post
                    Actually, won't an amended return need to be filed? If IRS is saying 8962 is required, it would appear they received APTC. Taking that into account, it seems like the tax/refund would change.
                    One would think, however all the IRS wants in these circumstances is the 8962 and 1095 faxed to them.

Chris

Comment

If they've already paid you, I would offer a discount for NEXT year in hopes of retaining the client. If the client hasn't paid you, put your discount on THIS year's invoice. And, if they act like they're leaving over this, refund some fees and say Good Bye after you fax the forms to the IRS.

Comment

>>> ...... Red Robin !! Yummm !!! Just kidding. But OMG Im looking forward to next Tuesday and a burger there !!

I have already made my list of eating joints and watering holes to go starting Wednesday!
                        Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

Originally posted by spanel View Post

One would think, however all the IRS wants in these circumstances is the 8962 and 1095 faxed to them.

Chris
                          Yes, that is basically it. The question still is, will they hold it up because I sent the follow-up info to them, as the 3rd party designee, and the taxpayer/spouse didn't sign the response? I spelled out the whole thing in a clear paragraph on the fax cover sheet, and included the relevant forms and schedules to show that there was no change to the tax liability or refund. After all, if taxpayer had signed Form 8879 and then I made the same changes to the return before filing, I would not need to get a new 8879 signature. When taxpayer initially contacted IRS by phone, they never told him anything about a signature requirement, but the IRS web site for this issue does mention signatures.

Now I should probably get a POA on file, I was too optimistic to do it sooner than this.

Client was not upset about delay when we talked on the phone. I will probably give a small discount on next year's tax prep (already billed and paid for this year when filed).

Comment

Working...
                          X