Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Disabled $1,300/$1,600 addition to the Standard Deduction for 2018?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Disabled $1,300/$1,600 addition to the Standard Deduction for 2018?

Did Congress decide to write this out of the tax code?

According to this forbes.com story -
    • If you are age 65 or over, blind or disabled, you can tack on $1,300 to your standard deduction ($1,600 for unmarried taxpayers).
    Curious about those 2018 tax brackets (with new tax rates!) under the final tax reform bill? Here's a peek at 2018 tax brackets, standard deduction amounts and more under tax reform.

I am over 65 and I did receive the extra 1600 added to my standard deduction. don't know about blind or disabled.

Comment

Publication 501 includes the $1,300 / $1,600 for age 65 and blind. I'm not aware of any addition now or previously for disabled. Standard deduction chart on page 24 of pub 501. https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p501.pdf#page=24

Comment

I've seen a few other news sources reporting the disability adder to the standard deduction but nothing on the IRS web site. Any idea what happened?

Comment

Only thing I can find regarding disabled persons is possible eligibility for EITC, based on their income. Also qualifying parents who claim disabled child as dependent? Nothing about increased standard deduction.

Comment

Working...
          X