Filing Form 8962 in year of marriage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Filing Form 8962 in year of marriage

Anyone familiar with filing the 8962 in the year of marriage and using an alternative method of calculation? Taxpayer had marketplace insurance and in Sept got married, also turned 65 in Sept prior to marriage and changed to Medicare insurance. When filling out the 8962 it uses total income for the year which includes spouse's income. If I prepared the return with just his income (if he wasn't married) there would be no excess repayment. Seems he shouldn't be penalized for the months not married and paying correct amount for the marketplace insurance. But using income of both spouses on the MFJ return he has a repayment of 1550. Does anyone know if there is a way to avoid this. What am I missing

The alternative calculation for year of marriage uses half of the household income - not the spouse's pre marriage income. Which may help, or not. There's also the option of filing MFS - won't qualify for any PTC but the repayment may be subject to a smaller repayment limit.

Comment

He was supposed to tell the marketplace he was getting married in September and his soon-to-be spouse's income, so they could adjust his premiums. He didn't, so don't feel sorry for him. The rest of us taxpayers don't want to subsidize his health insurance when he has two incomes.

Comment

Originally posted by Lion View Post
        He was supposed to tell the marketplace he was getting married in September and his soon-to-be spouse's income, so they could adjust his premiums. He didn't, so don't feel sorry for him. The rest of us taxpayers don't want to subsidize his health insurance when he has two incomes.
        He didn't have marketplace after he got married. He turned 65 the same month and went on Medicare

Comment

But, he had marketplace earlier in the year and anticipated a wedding. Annual income counts. I don't feel sorry for taxpayers who do NOT report upcoming life events to the marketplace. Do the best you can for him within the law. But, if he didn't worry about it during 2018, don't you worry about it in 2019.

Comment

Working...
          X