Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Virginia help needed - Amended 2018 return

Never mind.
    Last edited by FEDUKE404; 08-23-2020, 12:17 PM.

I have never e-filed an amended Form 760. They do require a copy of the 1040X, pages 1 & 2 to be attached. You are correct that the return is marked "amended" but it recalculates it with all the figures shown as corrected, including what the amount of refund or balance due should have been with the corrected income or deductions reported. I print the return, attaching the worksheet which shows the correct amount additionally due (or refunded) stapled to the front of the Form 760, with the 1040X behind the Form 760. You can either include the check without a voucher, or override the amount in your software on the 760-PMT, or download a blank one from their website and just write the amount on it. I would not send it separately. The check should show Form 760 Amended on it. I do not usually include the VA Sch INC (which is for wages/1099R) unless there is a change on it. You can include a copy of the 1099-OID with the return. They will bill the TP with any additional interest if necessary.
    Last edited by Burke; 03-20-2019, 01:55 PM.

Comment

Yeah, I won't prepare returns for my investors until after 15 March for that very reason!

Comment

Originally posted by FEDUKE404
        The VA Form 760 is the main culprit, as an amended 760 looks just like an original 760, except for a checked box. There is no before/after issues shown as with the federal 1040X.
        FE
        Yes, we would certainly like the amended to mirror the 1040X. Remember that the IRS changed the 1040X to something along the VA process a few years ago? Everybody hated it and they reverted back to the old format which is still used today. So much clearer. The VA instructions do not say you have to attach the worksheet, but I always do and highlight the amt due/refund. Supposedly the computer will handle the amended form and determine what additional amount is actually due. It also helps when the TP reviews the return or another preparer in the future.

Comment

Working...
        X