Support Test for Child with SSI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Support Test for Child with SSI

Family with 25 year old totally and permanently disabled child. Child receives $750/month in SSI (not SSDI). Is the SSI considered in the child's support contribution, or, because it is welfare, is it considered third party/state support? Only affects dependent status since EIC has no support requirement. Thanks for your input!

CCH's AnswerConnect says taxable and nontaxable: http://tax.cchgroup.com/smartcharts/...40_Wkst_48.htm

Comment

That CCH site is asking for log-in (don't have one). Are you implying that their worksheet says that if it is nontaxable income (like SSI) it is support by a third party/state? Thanks

Comment

No, their worksheet asks for the total income to the person being supported, taxable and NON-taxable income. I imagine it uses a worksheet from an IRS Pub.

Comment

See if this post helps

New client and husband works making $60K and wife says she is on SSI. I asked for her statement and she said she didn't get one. I looked at last years return and nothing was reported on the SS line and I looked at 2016 and the prior preparer had put the SSI on the 1040 and some of it was taxable. I am confused. Do I need her SSI income to
          Always cite your source for support to defend your opinion

Comment

Also see if this applies to you scenario

Always cite your source for support to defend your opinion

Comment

Originally posted by kam View Post
              Family with 25 year old totally and permanently disabled child. Child receives $750/month in SSI (not SSDI). Is the SSI considered in the child's support contribution, or, because it is welfare, is it considered third party/state support? Only affects dependent status since EIC has no support requirement. Thanks for your input!
              What did you come up with? I have the same exact scenario. Child is 25 and receives $750 SSI per month because he is autistic. He managed to go to college etc. Now that he is done with school and not working, but receives this SSI income... now what? What did you end up doing?

Comment

Here's my conclusion. The Disability Pub 907, page 3 states "Social Security benefits do not include SSI payments...". The VITA 4012 has two notes that are applicable. The first states "if a person receives Social Security benefits and applies them toward support, they are support by that person". However, SSI payments are NOT Social Security benefits, therefore they are "welfare" type benefits. The second note then applies which states " benefits provided by the state for a needy person (welfare, food stamps, housing, SSI) are considered support by the state". Therefore, my conclusion is that SSI payments should be considered third party/state support and therefore, the disabled child can be claimed as a Qualified Child dependent. I'm open for any feedback on this conclusion. P.S. The tax code should not be this ambiguous!

Comment

Working...
                X