Where's my Refund reference number 9001

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where's my Refund reference number 9001

In checking on a refund for a customer there is a message to call and give reference number 9001. Does anyone know what this means or refers to? In over 25 years of tax preparation I've never seen this particular message on the IRS site for Where's my Refund. Just wondering in general what it means

"Systemic error/issue" List of codes: 9001 is on second to last page. https://www.irs.gov/irm/part21/irm_21-004-001r

Comment

Did you input for direct deposit? Maybe they had to send to processing to issue a check for some reason.

Comment

Most interesting is the article referenced by FEDUKE because it talks about multiple social security numbers causing an issue. This return could not have been more simple. Single person with 1 W2 so there are not multiple social security numbers involved and the correct number was used (I've checked over and over) but of course the return would have rejected if I used wrong number. Yes, refund is set for direct deposit but refund has not been authorized. Other returns I Efiled the same day either got their refunds yesterday or are scheduled to be deposited tomorrow. I'm just in shock

Comment

Originally posted by Bonnie View Post
          This return could not have been more simple. Single person with 1 W2 so there are not multiple social security numbers involved and the correct number was used (I've checked over and over) but of course the return would have rejected if I used wrong number. Yes, refund is set for direct deposit but refund has not been authorized. Other returns I Efiled the same day either got their refunds yesterday or are scheduled to be deposited tomorrow. I'm just in shock
          If it had to go to processing for a manual check, it takes a lot longer. There could have been a transmission glitch when the refund was electronically processed. They usually don't keep trying. I have had EFT direct deposit requested, where the TP got a check in the mail.

Comment

Working...
          X