Hot Tub with prescription

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hot Tub with prescription

Taxpayer purchased hot tub mid-year of 2018 and received a prescription for hot tub in October of 2018. Would you find this expense a legitimate medical expense?

Why was the purchase BEFORE the prescription?
    Uncle Sam, CPA, EA. ARA, NTPI Fellow

Comment

Funny this question was posted today because today I prepared the tax return of a lady, that deducted said Hot Tub with a medical prescription in 2012! Every year I ask her if she is enjoying that!
      Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

Asked taxpayer a few more questions - She purchased a hot tub; sales person told her would be a tax deduction if she could get a prescription from a doctor worded just right.......these sales people....what a sales pitch. In my research, I read that if audited IRS would inquire about type of illness so I asked her if she had been diagnosed with arthritis or any other illness and she said no; just sore back and feet. My concern was purchase was made BEFORE prescription.

Comment

Now you can give your client real estate advice and tell her that her home is more valuable now when she sells it because of the "medical approved tub"
          Uncle Sam, CPA, EA. ARA, NTPI Fellow

Comment

Maybe she talked with her doctor before the purchase and he just didn't get around to writing the prescription until later?
            "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Working...
            X