Canadian Old Age Security taxable to US citizen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canadian Old Age Security taxable to US citizen

I have citizen with dual citizenship between US and Canada. TP is a US citizen and resident for over 20 years. TP just received Canadian Old Age pension. I have searched IRS website, read Pub 597 and come up empty. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Is there a treaty between US and Canada that specifies what gets taxed where?

Comment

Take a look at IRS Publication 575. The long and the short of it is that the Canada Old Age Pension is taxable by the US because the TP is a US resident and it is treated (for taxation purposes) just like our Social Security income is (up to 85% taxable based on amounts of other income).

Comment

Finally found an answer on an expat tax service page - it's taxable only in US and taxed like our SSA on that line.

Comment

Originally posted by Lion View Post
          Is there a treaty between US and Canada that specifies what gets taxed where?
          Lion - take a look at Notice 98-23 - it describes the treatment.

Comment

That's perfect, NYEA. I'm saving that. Every decade or so I get a question like this. Not this year. But, I will again, so paid attention to this thread.

Comment

Working...
            X