Error on prior SS reported wages

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Error on prior SS reported wages

Client nearing retirement brought his wage statement from SS. Report shows zero wages for 1984, which he says he was working at same place as 1983 and 85 so wages should have been in line with those years. By my calculations that would be one of his 35 highest years and would make about 30 a month difference in benefits.

He no longer has tax return or W-2 statements. Told him he could contact employer but it's unlikely they would still have records from 35 years ago. Any other ideas what he could do to get record corrected?

Ouch! I'm not sure anything can be done. According to the SSA site, the time limit for correcting an earnings record is 3 years, 3 months and 15 days (how did they come up with that number!?!).

Comment

There are instances where they will correct further back. On mine they also missed a W-2 mid 80's. I still had a copy of w2 and sent it in with the form, and they gave me credit for it. Mine was different in that I still had the W2 and also they had picked up the wages from it for Medicare wages, just not SS wages.

Comment

Did he have his tax return done by someone else in that year (HRB for instance), that he could contact for a copy? I have no idea how long other firms keep records, but I have a couple of paper returns from that era on long-term clients. Does it show up on an IRS transcript?

Comment

Another reason to tell our clients to keep their tax returns forever... But, that doesn't help those that join us after they purged their files!

Comment

Originally posted by Burke View Post
            Did he have his tax return done by someone else in that year (HRB for instance), that he could contact for a copy? I have no idea how long other firms keep records, but I have a couple of paper returns from that era on long-term clients. Does it show up on an IRS transcript?
            If I'm reading 4506 correctly, max is 10 years. I doubt he would know who prepared return that year, more doubtful that place would still be in business, and even more doubtful that they would still have records, but I'll throw it out to him.

Comment

I thought employers were required to keep payroll records forever.

Comment

Well, a biz client's payroll company was pushing that on him. But, they also sell year-end CDs, so have a vested interest in making him think that. I'm not an employer, so haven't researched it. Maybe after tax season (after 15 October) I'll look into payroll records retention.

Comment

Originally posted by Lion View Post
                  Well, a biz client's payroll company was pushing that on him. But, they also sell year-end CDs, so have a vested interest in making him think that. I'm not an employer, so haven't researched it. Maybe after tax season (after 15 October) I'll look into payroll records retention.
                  Appears it's 4 years. https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small...-recordkeeping

Comment

That's good. It's even shorter than biz tax returns, which are 7 year, yes? I think I'll tell him 7 years for everything, because it's easier to remember. And, it's 7 from filing, so 8 years from the year on the return, right?

Comment

Working...
                    X