S-Corp Election Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

S-Corp Election Question

My understanding, and please correct me if I'm wrong, but an LLC can elect to be treated as an S-Corp, or you can be a C-corp and convert to elect S-corp status. My dilemma is in the due dates of form 2553, for both new and already formed entities.

1st Scenario: New company formed on 06/15/2019, LLC and elects S-corp status by filing form 2553. Do they have 75 days in order for them to be considered an S-corp for that tax year (2019)? If they fail to make the election this year, can they elect S corp status next year?

2nd Scenario: LLC or sole prop has been in business many years (4 or more), never knew about s-corp election. Can they elect S-corp status in the year they find out about it? In other words, is there a statute of limitations? Once election is made, does election only take effect that year or can they request retroactive s-corp status to previous years, and how far back?

Thanks all, and I hope my question makes sense. I look forward to any replies
    Last edited by mvp2885; 03-03-2019, 04:33 PM.

See TTB 19-5
    Always cite your source for support to defend your opinion

Comment

There are various Rev Procs that can be used for late filing in first year.

It can not be retroactive to previous years.

With the 199A S corp may not be the best answer. You need to evaluate whether the SS tax "savings" and reduced future benefits outweighs the potential FIT savings of 199A of a S vs Sch C.

Comment

Working...
      X