Verification of Non-filing Letter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Verification of Non-filing Letter

A taxpayer needs assistance with obtaining a verification of non-filing letter for 2017. She wants to get this letter as soon as possible. Can I obtain this letter through IRS e-Services by using a Form 8821? Is there a faster way to go about this?

I'm unsure about what is the fastest way, but my first though is WHY does she want that? A letter of non-fling just says she did not file a tax return, but does NOT mean that she is not required to file one.

Comment

Is this lady applying for subsidies like Fuel assistance etc? I had a client who wanted this letter from the IRS for that purpose. Use the 8821 form.
      Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

Originally posted by TaxGuyBill View Post
        I'm unsure about what is the fastest way, but my first though is WHY does she want that? A letter of non-fling just says she did not file a tax return, but does NOT mean that she is not required to file one.
        I think the idea is, the person requesting is just performing due diligence. In other words, suppose some application process normally requires tax return info, and applicant says they can't provide it, because they didn't file. Then for due diligence purposes, I'd want some evidence that they did not file, rather than allow the possibility that maybe they did file but don't want to show me what they had. If it turns out they should have filed, at least I can show that I took reasonable steps to confirm whether they actually did file or not.

The real question is why any of these people rely on the tax return in the first place, as even a successfully filed tax return doesn't prove a **** thing about someone's actual income and deductions. It only shows what they may have been willing to lie about under "penalty of perjury".
        "You said it, they'll never know the difference. Come on, we'll paint our way out!" - Moe Howard

Comment

Working...
        X