Self Prepared Return

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Self Prepared Return

Can a licensed tax professional assist someone in preparing their return on their own Turbo Tax software, charge a fee and not sign the return? Return shows self-prepared on signature line and they have an invoice for "Tax Consulting". Prospective client asked me to assist them this year. I told them I do not do it that way and thought it was prohibited for and EA or CPA.

I would advise against it. Why go through all of that and not just file the return yourself. You'd probably have less time/hassle anyway considering you have more knowledge in your software.

Chris

Comment

>> charge a fee and not sign the return

If you charge a fee you are a paid preparer and all the rules apply. I know there are many kitchen table preparers that use TT or similar software to prepare a return and have the taxpayer mail it in as self prepared.

If I prepare a return, my PTIN goes on the return. I will NOT help anyone do a return on TT and assume the responsibility.
      Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

Originally posted by WICPA View Post
        Can a licensed tax professional assist someone in preparing their return on their own Turbo Tax software, charge a fee and not sign the return? Return shows self-prepared on signature line and they have an invoice for "Tax Consulting". Prospective client asked me to assist them this year. I told them I do not do it that way and thought it was prohibited for and EA or CPA.
        Reference IRS cir. 230 section 10.8
        Last edited by TAXNJ; 02-26-2019, 11:53 PM.
        Always cite your source for support to defend your opinion

Comment

Working...
        X