Parents Eligible to use AOC Credit ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Parents Eligible to use AOC Credit ?

I'm having trouble getting my head around an AOC calculation when a 529 distribution is involved.
    Taxpayers have a 22 year old dependent daughter in her 4th year at a university.
    She has used 3 prior years of AOC & seems to meet the other qualifications for 2018.
    Her 2018 1098-T shows $ 7,746 in tuition. (Verified as paid) No scholarships or other ed. assistance.
    A 2018 distribution of $ 7,771 was taken from her 529 plan. The 1099-Q shows $ 2,574 earnings $ 5,196 basis
    Using $ 7,746 tuition minus the $ 4,000 for the AOC, I get $3,746 of AQEE.
    Following the example on page 53 of IRS pub 970 it would seem that $ 1,334 of her 529 distribution is taxable to her.
    As I understand it, the daughter is to claim the $ 1,334 on her return & the parents use her full AOC on theirs.
    Do I have this figured right ?
    Thanks for comments.

529 distribution can be used to pay for room and board, books and supplies, computer and internet, special equipment etc. So the way I do the calculation is leave 4000 for AOC and have the rest paid with 529 proceeds.
    Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

My math got $1,333 (rather than your $1,334), but close enough.

However, what about Room & Board? Even if the student lives with the parent, 529 plans can still be applied towards some Room & Board (have them ask the college financial aid office for the amount of the housing allowance for students living with their parents).

Comment

Working...
      X