MIP being Extended? Any news yet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MIP being Extended? Any news yet?

Has anyone heard lately if there is even talk about extending some of those that expired on 12/31/17? Such as MIP, education & energy credits. I have alot of clients that pay MIP. So I was just wondering how it is looking, are they even discussing it at this point? Anyone heard?

Yesterday 2/28/2019 the Senate introduced a bill to extend all of these. Seems a good chance they will be extended but I guess it will be close to the April 15th deadline before any legislation will be passed.

Comment

For most MFJ taking the 24K Std Deduction it will be a non issue. So now we have to hunt down clients who itemized and had MIP and then do a 1040X.
      Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

Originally posted by ATSMAN View Post
        For most MFJ taking the 24K Std Deduction it will be a non issue. So now we have to hunt down clients who itemized and had MIP and then do a 1040X.
        I've kept a list of my clients that are affected by this that do pay MIP and I calculated the difference with and without it incase they do extend it. So I know if it is worth amending or not. Our state will follow Federal so It does make quite a difference for my taxpayers. I've got over 25 clients so far that will benefit from it.

Comment

If this legislation is attached to some other bill that is not supported by either party then the chances of passing it before 4/15 is remote IMHO!
          Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

Working...
          X