Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Qualified Budsiness Income for Tax Preparers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Qualified Budsiness Income for Tax Preparers?

I have been researching whether we, as tax preparers, can claim the QBI deduction. The taxbook is silent on the matter, as are Lambers, PUB 17 and 1040 instructions. The master tax guide seems to say we are not eligible: code section 162(901). Any comment or suggestions??

Yes we're eligible. What paragraph of the MTG says we're not?
    "Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society." ~ Mark Skousen

Comment

MTG :980P. I'm looking at the qualified trade or business...gosh I hope you're right!!

Comment

Yes, tax preparers are eligible for the QBI deduction, but are considered a SSTB. Perhaps that is the reason for the confusion.

Comment

KBTS, what overrides the SSTB then?

Comment

The Specified Service Trade or Business limitations only come into play once your income is over the $315,000 MFJ / $157,500 All Others threshold. If you are over the $415,000/$207,500 limit, then a SSTB gets is no QBI deduction. If you are within the phase-in range between these amounts, then you need to apply the various limitations described on page 8-16 and 8-17 of TTB.

Comment

With all due respect, if you are a tax preparer who charges a fee, then you should have taken some CE on this. Have you heard of the threshold amount?

Comment

Thank you KBTS. I think what I'm getting hung up on is the wording from the MTG 980P "the QBI deduction is not allowed for any SSTB that is a trade or business that involves the performance of: blah blah blah--"or any trade or business whose principal asset ios the reputation or skill of one or more of its employe/owners" or--blah blah blah......
                All that being said, I can see that you are correct on threshold amount and there I will hang my hat! Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by sdarave View Post
                  I have been researching whether we, as tax preparers, can claim the QBI deduction. The taxbook is silent on the matter, as are Lambers, PUB 17 and 1040 instructions. The master tax guide seems to say we are not eligible: code section 162(901). Any comment or suggestions??
                  Similar TTB Post

See TTB 2-2-19 post - reply poster ttbtaxes suggest looking at Reg. 1.199A-5(b)(2)(iv):

https://forum.thetaxbook.com/forum/d...nrolled-agents
                  Last edited by TAXNJ; 02-14-2019, 06:30 PM.
                  Always cite your source for support to defend your opinion

Comment

Working...
                  X