Firefighter Service Dog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Firefighter Service Dog

Unusual situation. A fire fighter owns a dog he has been training to be a rescue service dog with his department. The dog has been approved by the board of trustees and has paid for some training classes. However, the owner of the dog still has out of pocket expenses for the dog. My question is there any way to receive a credit or deduction for these expenses? My first thought was misc. unreimbursed employee expenses but that doesn't help this year. Any thoughts or suggestions?
    Noel
    "Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."- Oscar Wilde

If the Board of Trustees already approved some training classes, why doesn't it assume the responsibility for the other expenses to maintain the dog to keep it in good health?
    Uncle Sam, CPA, EA. ARA, NTPI Fellow

Comment

At best, this would be an itemized deduction for employee business expense which, as I recall, are no longer allowed for federal tax purposes.

Further, "has been training" sounds more like a "pre employment" or pre deployment expense and thus not active job related.

I am not aware of a credit for what would otherwise be an employee business expense. The post does not suggest it is a type of expense for disabled access credit(s)

Friends double; family triple. Don't buy an audit for yourself. If someone has to go to jail make sure it is the client. Remember it is only taxes, nothing important.

Comment

Thank you all for your input and confirming my initial thoughts.
        Noel
        "Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."- Oscar Wilde

Comment

Does the department own the dog? Maybe a charitable contribution. Does your client own the dog? Personal. Maybe if expenses above and beyond what's usual and customary for a personal pet... Have your client contact organizations such as guide dogs for the blind to get information.

Comment

Working...
          X