Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

form 8606 include value of inherited IRA?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

form 8606 include value of inherited IRA?

My client has nondeductible basis in his IRA and takes distributions from it. He also has an inherited IRA from a parent. So for line 6 for value of all IRA's do I include the value of the inherited IRA as well?
    The instructions doesn't indicate anything. I am thinking you do include it. Anyone know? Thanks

I believe the inherited IRA needs a separate 8606. If he is also taking distributions from the inherited IRA then his basis in the inherited IRA is the same as the decedents.
    "Dude, you are correct" Rapid Robert

Comment

Originally posted by nwtaxlady View Post
      My client has nondeductible basis in his IRA and takes distributions from it. He also has an inherited IRA from a parent. So for line 6 for value of all IRA's do I include the value of the inherited IRA as well?
      The instructions doesn't indicate anything. I am thinking you do include it. Anyone know? Thanks
      Since IRA's inherited from parents remain under their name with TP listed as beneficiary, I wouldn't think they would need to be included in the calculation.

Comment

Originally posted by nwtaxlady View Post
        See TTB 13-23 top of page

also see TTB 13-22 titled “”Inherited IRA choices. A designated beneficiary has several choices when inheriting an IRA.””
        Always cite your source for support to defend your opinion

Comment

Originally posted by Dude View Post
          I believe the inherited IRA needs a separate 8606. If he is also taking distributions from the inherited IRA then his basis in the inherited IRA is the same as the decedents.
          Client doesn't have any basis in the inherited IRA as the decedent didn't have any basis in it. So my question is, do I include the FMV of the inherited IRA with all the other IRA's he has? He takes distributions from all. Or leave the inherited one out and just treat it like a normal IRA with no basis? OR do I have to factor it in with all the others?

Comment

Since you have to separate the RMD's on each, I would think you would not combine the values in calculating the non-taxable portion of his IRA. Can not find anything to back that up though.

Comment

Working...
            X