Multiple states

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Multiple states

I have a client who lives in Massachusetts and bought a rental house in Indiana. He never live in Indiana throughout the 2018 tax year. Does he needs to file Indiana tax returns after including the income and expenses on his Massachusetts tax returns?
    Thanks for your help.
    John.

Based on the facts provided, the taxpayer is a resident of MA so he must file resident MA tax return (Form 1) and include the net rental income from Indiana. He will also need to file an Indiana non-resident return for the rental income and expenses derived from rental activity in Indiana. On his MA tax return he will get a credit for taxes paid to other jurisdiction. MA does not have NOL so that will be lost on his MA return.
    Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

Thanks. I will talk to him. I will do just that. Just to let you know that it is stated so clearly in Indiana Website. We have to file Indiana returns only on Indiana Income. The MA will be the normal income tax as you have rightly stated. Once again, thank you for your explanation.
      John.

Comment

Working...
      X