Hardship exemption for health insurance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hardship exemption for health insurance

The individual had another type of hardship in obtaining helath insurance that the individual believes qulaifies for a hardship exemption. Pretty vague...what might be qualified?
    Would not being able to understand the process of getting Obamacare be a reason?

If income is below 138% of FPL in a non expansion state they can qualify for an exemption. Warning, in some states finding the Second lowest silver level premium (ACA\ Obamacare term) can be cumbersome in some states.
    "Dude, you are correct" Rapid Robert

Comment

client isn't below poverty.

Comment

No. From what I have heard, that one is extremely limited and has been usually denied.

In most cases, the taxpayer would need to prove that it was almost impossible for them to get health insurance of any type. Merely not understanding how to apply for one type of insurance (Marketplace) would not be a reason, as they certainly could have asked for assistance and/or gone elsewhere for insurance.

Comment

OK, just trying to help my clients. Some just didn't want insurance, thought it would be too costly, a few didnt understand how obama care worked.(subsidies and such),

Comment

Check if his or her premiums exceed the income/percentage ratio.

Comment

Read the 9/12/2018 notice issued by Department Of Health & Human Services, Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services and IRS Notice 2019-05. The hardship exemptions have been made much wider and can now be claimed on the return without an ECN. Having only one insurance provider in a state in 2018 can be a hardship.

Comment

The most dangerous words in our business: "..just trying to help my clients..."
                Friends double; family triple. Don't buy an audit for yourself. If someone has to go to jail make sure it is the client. Remember it is only taxes, nothing important.

Comment

Working...
                X