Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are you getting more calls 2019 tax season?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are you getting more calls 2019 tax season?

It appears all the media coverage of TCJA and QBI in particular has unleased questions and doubts in the minds of taxpayers. Generally the first two weeks of January is quiet for me BUT not this tax season. I am getting double the calls not only from my clients but also from friends and family of my clients who want me to answer one question or two. These are generally DIY folks. There seems to be a misunderstanding that charitable deduction, medical deduction is lost for good. Most don't know that they can't deduct employee business expenses.

Are you experiencing the same?
    Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Not exactly - last year I warned all my clients of the TCJA changes for 2018 and advised them of the strong possibility of their not receiving as large a refund as 2017 with the SALT reductions, absence of the Miscellaneous Itemized Deductions, no exemption $ but a disguised double standard deduction and change in tax rate structure. And have advised them as well, that in many instances, their standard deduction will be higher than the itemized deductions.
    Uncle Sam, CPA, EA. ARA, NTPI Fellow

Comment

Originally posted by ATSMAN View Post
      I am getting double the calls not only from my clients but also from friends and family of my clients who want me to answer one question or two. These are generally DIY folks.
      Do you provide the non-client DIY callers with answers to their questions over the phone? Are you able to invite them to make an appointment and become your client?

Comment

Originally posted by BP. View Post

Do you provide the non-client DIY callers with answers to their questions over the phone? Are you able to invite them to make an appointment and become your client?
        I'd like to know your strategy on this one. Always run the rule.. I dont prepare your tax return, no advise. To many variables and don't need to legal ramifications for something that I'm not even getting paid for.

I usually remind them that I get paid to prepare taxes, not give free advise and ask if they would like an appointment to get their taxes prepared professionally.

Chris

Comment

For friends of my clients I try to be as diplomatic as possible and talk in general terms only. I always try to offer them the choice of a "free" consultation if they will bring me their papers. My goal is to get them come and talk about their tax situation because I can always find something to interest them and roughly 50% of them do decide to hire me! I just did one the other day.
          Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

My answer: I don't give advice over the phone and I don't give free haircuts over the phone either. There are too many variables. If you would like to bring in your paperwork, I can take a look at it and advise free of charge as to what you might do. No obligation. Sometimes they become clients. They can relate to the free haircut part and they can usually understand why it is so difficult to give tax advice over the phone, If they don't get it, I don't know that I want them for a client.

Comment

Caller: "I need a little help finishing up my tax return. Do you answer tax questions on the phone?"
              Me: "Sure, I answer the first question for free, then there's a charge for each answer afterward."
              Caller: "If I have more than one question, how much is the charge for each answer?"
              Me: "$150 for each answer. What's your next question?"
              "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Originally posted by JohnH View Post
                Caller: "I need a little help finishing up my tax return. Do you answer tax questions on the phone?"
                Me: "Sure, I answer the first question for free, then there's a charge for each answer afterward."
                Caller: "If I have more than one question, how much is the charge for each answer?"
                Me: "$150 for each answer. What's your next question?"
                That is exactly how lawyers work!

Comment

Working...
                X