What would you do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What would you do?

A guy shows and has several sheets of notebook paper signed by someone calling himself "the employer" (with business card attached). Included on the notebook paper are dates and amounts employee was paid in cash. If return is filed person will get a $6000 refund. What would you do?
    "Dude, you are correct" Rapid Robert

No W-2 or 1099MISC?
    Jiggers, EA

Comment

If he says he is an employee, he should receive a W-2. If he brings in a handwritten one. Be careful!

Comment

Nope, neither.

Comment

this is probably the first successful attempt for someone to get the earned income credit. much more sophisticated now. I'd stay clear of this guy.

Comment

I won't do it but it was pointed out to me that we are not the police and if fraud is being committed its is on the part of the "employer" who is not issuing a 1099 and calling a W-2 employee an independent contractor. I see these mostly from landscapers.

Comment

Originally posted by Dude View Post
              A guy shows and has several sheets of notebook paper signed by someone calling himself "the employer" (with business card attached). Included on the notebook paper are dates and amounts employee was paid in cash. If return is filed person will get a $6000 refund. What would you do?
              I have had similar experiences. I simply give them the phone# and direction to a tax prep chain or tax clinic in town. It is not worth my time to deal with the headaches that come with it!
              Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

I won't do it but it was pointed out to me that we are not the police
                Well let me point out something also - review IRC ยง6694

Comment

check out these videos on IRS site, https://www.eitc.irs.gov/due-diligence-videos. I don't like to prejudge clients, but I will talk with client and ask questions before I will do his taxes

Comment

I won't do it but it was pointed out to me that we are not the police and if fraud is being committed its is on the part of the "employer" who is not issuing a 1099 and calling a W-2 employee an independent contractor. I see these mostly from landscapers.
                    It is not illegal to pay someone in cash. This would be an "employer" issue and not enough info if employee or subcontractor.

There are illegal businesses dealing in cash and per IRS code, requires the illegal businesses reporting its income.

But it sounds like you answered your own post.
                    Always cite your source for support to defend your opinion

Comment

Working...
                    X