California TAX Preparer Requirements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

California TAX Preparer Requirements

I live in TEXAS and periodically do CA STATE tax returns for some of my clients. Has CA put a restriction on who can file electronically for a client from out of State. I see they have CE requirements for TAX professional and allow CPAa and EAs an exemption.

I believe CA just like NY has CE and registration requirements. NY exempts fee for preparers who file less than 10 NY state returns. CA may have similar requirements that you will need to check. I used to file 3 or 4 CA returns in previous years for clients who moved from MA. Now I am finding a lot of older folks moving from MA to FL, TX, AZ.
    Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

From the California CTEC web site:

Q & A - What if I live outside of California, can I prepare California tax returns?

Yes. The law is limited to overseeing tax preparers who are preparing state and federal tax returns for a fee within the State of California. Out-of-state tax preparers are not obligated to meet California requirements.
      "You said it, they'll never know the difference. Come on, we'll paint our way out!" - Moe Howard

Comment

Working...
      X