Do I need access to E-Services ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do I need access to E-Services ?

I've posted on this topic before and don't mean to beat a dead horse but this e-services enrollment process is getting me frustrated.
    Does a paid preparer absolutely need to enroll in IRS E-services ?
    I have no cell phone, tablet, or pad & am not interested in getting such devices. I use cable land lines.
    Received my e-services activation code in the mail today & called e-services for help.
    They tell me that you still need to be able to receive a text message with a temporary code each time you want to access e-services. That makes sense but without such devices how is this done ?
    I understand they're trying to stop the bad guys but this enrollment process seems a little like catch-22.
    They (e-services) also said that I wouldn't be able to e-file through my software provider w/o e-services access - but my software provider (Taxwise) tells me that with a valid EFIN and a 2019 PTIN I'm good to go.
    What would be the downside to not have e-services access ? Thanks for any comments.

Originally posted by RWG1950 View Post
    They (e-services) also said that I wouldn't be able to e-file through my software provider w/o e-services access - but my software provider (Taxwise) tells me that with a valid EFIN and a 2019 PTIN I'm good to go.

Most likely, you have already pulled up your EFIN information from e-services so TaxWise could verify it. If you change software, or if for some reason TaxWise needs to re-verify the information, you would need access to e-services again. Otherwise, there is no need for access if you do not want/need the services they provide.

Comment

Originally posted by TaxGuyBill View Post
      If you change software [..] you would need access to e-services again. Otherwise, there is no need for access if you do not want/need the services they provide.
      That's not the whole story. There are other situations requiring e-services access. "It is important to provide updates such as, changes to business structure, Principals, Responsible Officials, addresses and telephone numbers and to remove individuals no longer associated with the firm, including deceased individuals. [...] The IRS also removes Providers from participation in IRS e-file when it receives undeliverable mail or is unable to contact a Provider. Until the Provider updates the information, the IRS rejects all returns submitted by the Provider. "

"You said it, they'll never know the difference. Come on, we'll paint our way out!" - Moe Howard

Comment

I've posted on this topic before and don't mean to beat a dead horse but this e-services enrollment process is getting me frustrated.
        Does a paid preparer absolutely need to enroll in IRS E-services ?
        I have no cell phone, tablet, or pad & am not interested in getting such devices. I use cable land lines.
        Received my e-services activation code in the mail today & called e-services for help.
        They tell me that you still need to be able to receive a text message with a temporary code each time you want to access e-services. That makes sense but without such devices how is this done ?
        I understand they're trying to stop the bad guys but this enrollment process seems a little like catch-22.
        What would be the downside to not have e-services access ? Thanks for any comments.
        I've been with my software company 7 years and this year I had to login to E-services and get an efile authorization code or otherwise I would not be able to efile. Also, the bank I use for Refund Tranfers required a screenshot of my e-services account.

Cell phones have been available for around 20 years to the masses. Time to "get with the times" and purchase one. They are also dirt cheap if you get a prepaid plan.

The cheaper solution would be to purchase a $100-$200 tablet.

No really is no excuse that you cannot do either of the above.

Chris

Comment

As a follow-up to my E-Services post of yesterday, I was told today by their service rep the following :
          - she verified that because I had entered the activation code the IRS had mailed me, I became registered for e-services - although without the temporary text code I cannot actually log in.
          - IRS will soon make the log-in procedure available to land line users, just as many banks and mutual funds do now.
          - if between now and then (because I'm now registered) I need access to match the number of returns e-filed with my records, I can call e-services & they'll verbally provide help.

Comment

I have a cell phone. I own the account. AT&T says I own the account. IRS says the cell is not in my name! I cannot rejoin eServices unless I travel to an IRS office to prove my identity, and none are close by. I went last season without eServices. I'm rehabbing from hip replacement, so probably will not find time to get to an IRS office by the 2019 season. I know they think they're making it hard for the criminals, but they're making it hard for this honest person, too.
            Last edited by Lion; 12-14-2018, 08:24 PM.

Comment

I use a prepaid cell phone and, for whatever reason, the IRS would not accept that even though I could receive a code and confirm it. I do that with other internet-related activities.

Last December, I also had to physically go to an IRS location and go through the confirmation process. I was told you need to reconfirm every two years which means the end of next year for me. Once again, I'll have to call the IRS and schedule a time to go there.

Comment

The IRS told me to bring a W-2 or 1099-MISC in my name and SSN to prove my identity. I am self-employed. The few biz clients I have that issue 1099s, issue them in my EIN, not my SSN. I have no paper trail in my SSN. And, I do NOT want to start using my SSN again instead of my EIN and PTIN. The IRS told me they do not accept SS cards as proof. How many criminals just print up a fake W-2? But, I get shut out of eServices.

Comment

I was an early adopter of eservices. It was very useful in the beginning but has become less so over the last few years. It takes the IRS 10 to 15 days for a POA to become active and the ability to enter one through the service is gone. I log in about a dozen times a year now. If you are doing representation work it is still valuable. If not you can easily do without.
                  In other words, a democratic government is the only one in which those who vote for a tax can escape the obligation to pay it.
                  Alexis de Tocqueville

Comment

Keep in mind that the IRS just confirmed it will no longer fax transcripts as of early next year. Therefore, unless you want to wait for paper mail to be sent to taxpayer, you will need e-services in order to access wage and income transcripts, including unredacted versions. They can be placed in your e-services mailbox for quick access, but not if you don't have e-services access.
                    "You said it, they'll never know the difference. Come on, we'll paint our way out!" - Moe Howard

Comment

Registered years ago for e-services, but have never had to use it. Probably locked out for lack of use.

Comment

As a follow-up to my E-Services post of yesterday, I was told today by their service rep the following :
                        - she verified that because I had entered the activation code the IRS had mailed me, I became registered for e-services - although without the temporary text code I cannot actually log in.
                        - IRS will soon make the log-in procedure available to land line users, just as many banks and mutual funds do now.
                        - if between now and then (because I'm now registered) I need access to match the number of returns e-filed with my records, I can call e-services & they'll verbally provide help.
                        That is good news for anyone with land lines. I also have had a cell phone for years which is in my name and the IRS said no dice to use it. That's why I got a tablet. I am glad I got it for other uses and it was cheap enough. But the tax preparer should not have to go through all the hazzle and not be accommodated in order to do their job.

Comment

Working...
                        X