IRS 2019 Standard Mileage Rate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IRS 2019 Standard Mileage Rate

IRS is kind of late this year in posting the 2019 standard mileage rates, or did I just miss it?
    Jiggers, EA

Originally posted by Jiggers View Post
    IRS is kind of late this year in posting the 2019 standard mileage rates, or did I just miss it?
    Have not seen an IRS release as of this date
    Always cite your source for support to defend your opinion

Comment

I haven't seen it yet.

However, the 2018 rates were announced on December 14th, 2017 and the 2017 rates were announced on December 13th, 2016, so it probably will be announced very soon.

Comment

Just released:

Beginning on Jan. 1, 2019, the standard mileage rates for the use of a car (also vans, pickups or panel trucks) will be:
        • 58 cents per mile driven for business use, up 3.5 cents from the rate for 2018,
        • 20 cents per mile driven for medical or moving purposes, up 2 cents from the rate for 2018, and
        • 14 cents per mile driven in service of charitable organizations.

Comment

It's interesting to note that for the second half of 2008, the rate was 58.5 cents for business miles. So in over a decade, we are still below that high water mark. (At the beginning of the century, we were at 34.5 cents). I recall that in mid-year 2008, gasoline prices spiked pretty high, so that is probably what drove the amount up.

Almost all my business clients use the standard mileage rate, but given the great disparity in the cost of operating a car and gasoline prices across the country, perhaps this is really short changing some of them, after all California just increased its gasoline tax by 12 cents a gallon (although a search shows that Pennsylvania still has a higher rate than CA). Now, if only I could rely on them to keep good records, we could switch to actual costs. Sigh.
          "You said it, they'll never know the difference. Come on, we'll paint our way out!" - Moe Howard

Comment

Working...
          X