New York State itemized deductions for 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New York State itemized deductions for 2018

For years up to and including 2017, if someone uses the standard deduction on their Federal individual income tax return, they must use the standard deduction on the NYS return. In 2018, many individuals will use the Federal standard deduction.

I'm trying to find out if NYS has changed their law for 2018 and will allow those who use the standard deduction of their Federal return to itemized on their NYS return. I can't find any information about this.

Anyone know?

Sorry...just found the answer in the June edition of The CPA Journal. NYS decouples and allows the standard or itemized deductions irrespective of how they filed their Federal return.

Comment

Just like California has been for many years.
      "You said it, they'll never know the difference. Come on, we'll paint our way out!" - Moe Howard

Comment

And AZ has for many many years. One reason lots of my clients will still be itemizing on the AZ return even if taking standard deduction on the Federal return. So much for tax simplification. ;-)

Comment

Does anybody know where Virginia is on this issue?

Comment

As far as I know, there is no change. If you itemize on federal, you itemize on the state. Same for standard deduction. You have to conform to the federal. For that reason, when fed itemized deductions were very close but under the threshold, I often itemized anyway, since you could often make up the difference and then some on the increased state deduction.

Comment

Working...
            X