$1k more HSA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

$1k more HSA

Client and "registered domestic partner" (per state; WA) are both covered by clients employer out of another state (CA) HDHP. Client and partner are both over 55. So client maxes out HSA (2018 - $ 7,900) and has for many years. I learned last week that the "partner" is entitled to their own extra $ 1k over 55 "catch-up", albeit in a separate account. I was unaware of this in the past. Can anyone confirm or quote language?
    Treasur2

Originally posted by Treasur2 View Post
    Can anyone confirm or quote language?
    Yes, I can confirm. It's in the IRS Pub. about HSAs. It's also been discussed in this forum at some point in the past year or two as I recall.

"You said it, they'll never know the difference. Come on, we'll paint our way out!" - Moe Howard

Comment

I'm going to take that a step farther: I think the partner can contribute up to $7900.

That is how it works for a non-dependent child that is covered under the HSA, and I would think the non-spouse would fall under that.

Thanks to health care reform, employees can cover adult children on their health plan up to age 26. However, due to HSA rules, you may not be able to spend HSA dollars on those older dependent children. Ensure your employees understand the nuances of these plans with the addition of their adult children so your business can remain compliant.

Comment

Me again: I just looked through ยง223 and that is how it reads. The simplified version is that anybody covered by a "family" HDHP qualifies to contribute the maximum family amount ("family" just means a plan that covers more than one person). Then there is a restriction saying dependents do not qualify, and another restriction that married people need to split it between them.

That means a non-married person that is covered by a "family" HDHP can contribute the maximum family amount. In your case, that is $7900 for 2018.

Comment

I had a client call this week to ask if he can put in an additional 1K for every year over 55. Asked if he could put in an additional 2K since he's 57. Seriously can't believe some of the things people come up with.

Comment

Well, hope springs eternal.......

Comment

Working...
            X