Property Taxes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Property Taxes

My client paid prior year's 2017 property taxes in calendar year 2018. Can the client claim on 2017 Tax return?

No - it's only deductible in the year actually paid.
    Uncle Sam, CPA, EA. ARA, NTPI Fellow

Comment

As a cash basis, calendar year taxpayer, no.
      "You said it, they'll never know the difference. Come on, we'll paint our way out!" - Moe Howard

Comment

Just to throw in a finer point. Many counties bill quarterly on a fiscal year basis so the 4th qtr bill is generally paid in the next calendar year. I have my clients bring in copies of checks or stamped receipts from the tax collector to see the dates paid.
        Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

Originally posted by ATSMAN View Post
          I have my clients bring in copies of checks or stamped receipts from the tax collector to see the dates paid.
          In California, just about every county assessor has a publicly available web site that lists the dates and amounts of property tax payments made. I think this is true in some other states too, when I've looked.

"You said it, they'll never know the difference. Come on, we'll paint our way out!" - Moe Howard

Comment

Originally posted by Rapid Robert View Post
            In California, just about every county assessor has a publicly available web site that lists the dates and amounts of property tax payments made. I think this is true in some other states too, when I've looked.

I think I like the California web site for property tax payments. Here in MA in my county and surrounding counties the payment records are NOT available for public view. Only the assessed amount! I suppose taxpayers who pay online can get me those details as getting paid receipts. BTW here in MA if you pay online using a credit card you are charged an additional fee, so most of my clients either drop off a check or mail it in.
            Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

I personally prefer Bill Pay to pay utility, local tax bills etc. Perhaps our counties are not up to speed because I have heard horror stories from people who used ACH debit to pay a property tax bill and then finding out that the tax was not credited to the account in time triggering penalties that were later challenged and reversed.

Comment

Working...
              X