Taxact

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • ATSMAN
    replied
    I have not used TaxAct in a while but I do seem to recall that it had a Forms Entry mode and a Q&A mode for those who need to be asked questions.

    If it does what you need done, all the power to you. As I stated in an earlier post the OP needs to demo each software with his own tax return types prepared to see which meets his need. I was not trying to knock one software vs. other.

    Leave a comment:


  • ATSMAN
    replied
    Originally posted by FEDUKE404
    And the point of your response to Ross is exactly WHAT ??

    FE
    It was nice of Taxact to call the OP and offer the discount. It is not offered on their website. There should be no confusion here??

    Leave a comment:


  • ATSMAN
    replied
    Originally posted by Ross
    Taxact does everything I need at a great price. A week or so ago they called and offered me unlimited e-filing, the professional 1040 software and all states for $525 if I paid now. I jumped on it! I have been using them since they began around 1999 or so. I even used them before they were Taxact and went under PTE.....Parson's Personal Tax Edge. I used PTE from 94-96 and then they were bought out or something. For a few years.....I believe 97 and 98 I had to use ProSeries. ProSeries cost more and I thought PTE/TaxAct were easier to use and did everything I needed. I've also been preparing a few 1065s and 1120s returns (for my day job) with TaxAct for the past seven or eight years w/ no complaints. You should take a look at TaxAct.

    Great you saved $50 by paying early.

    https://www.taxact.com/professional

    Leave a comment:


  • Ross
    replied
    TaxAct works for me!

    Taxact does everything I need at a great price. A week or so ago they called and offered me unlimited e-filing, the professional 1040 software and all states for $525 if I paid now. I jumped on it! I have been using them since they began around 1999 or so. I even used them before they were Taxact and went under PTE.....Parson's Personal Tax Edge. I used PTE from 94-96 and then they were bought out or something. For a few years.....I believe 97 and 98 I had to use ProSeries. ProSeries cost more and I thought PTE/TaxAct were easier to use and did everything I needed. I've also been preparing a few 1065s and 1120s returns (for my day job) with TaxAct for the past seven or eight years w/ no complaints. You should take a look at TaxAct.

    Leave a comment:


  • ATSMAN
    replied
    Originally posted by Twin Turbo Z
    Calculation speed (now a days) is really a mute subject. With the processing power in today's PC's its not an issue. Data entry is where the savings is. If you do have issues with "processing speed", maybe its time to retire that old "286" processor.
    Drake has a feature called Macros to automate most data entry tasks that are repeats. So for example the form 8867 can be completed virtually in few keystrokes. JohnH discussed this in a prior post. Most Drake users increase their efficiency by using macros.

    While i will not make fun of the vintage 80286 processor (I have fond memories of IBM AT at one of my early jobs), I bet Drake will rival any other software to produce a viewable return from the time you hit the calculate button. I have used Taxwise, ATX, TaxAct, Taxworks and Drake beat them in speed for the same type of return calculation.

    Leave a comment:


  • JohnH
    replied
    Macros enable the user to customize numerous data entry activities, resulting in faster return preparation. One can devise simple single-keystroke entries to prefill almost any form they wish, then either return to the main data input screen or pause on the form to await additional data entry. Anyone who knows how to use an Excel spreadsheet can quickly learn to harness the power of macros. Plus, Drake already provides some macros, which can be modified & customized by a novice Drake user as a way of learning the basics of how they work.

    I didn't fully appreciate the power of macros until my second year with Drake. Now I doubt I'd willingly work with any software that didn't offer this feature.
    Last edited by JohnH; 05-20-2018, 01:44 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • TAXNJ
    replied
    Originally posted by MDEA
    I used Taxwise for 15 years switched to Drake 2 years ago. I used to kid my friends(that used Drake) that they belonged to a cult I am happy to say I joined that cult. Using Macros and once you understand the software basic returns take no time. Plus the price and support are great.
    Will you explain what you mean when you say "Using Macros"? Also, does one need to know how to do some elementary programing to utilized the full benefits of the software?

    Heard that Drake is/was DOS based until a few years ago. Is that true?

    Thanks

    Leave a comment:


  • Twin Turbo Z
    replied
    Originally posted by ATSMAN
    I can tell you right now that you are going to have a learning curve with the data entry screens in Drake if you have used Proseries for a number of years. But once you get used to the Drake screens, you can significantly speed up the time it takes to crank out a return. Most people get frustrated with the Drake screens when they are demoing and give up. I did the same before until I forced myself to give it another shot with open mind and it did the trick.

    I have tried almost all the mid tiered products and find Drake to have the fastest calculation speed.
    Calculation speed (now a days) is really a mute subject. With the processing power in today's PC's its not an issue. Data entry is where the savings is. If you do have issues with "processing speed", maybe its time to retire that old "286" processor.

    Leave a comment:


  • Twin Turbo Z
    replied
    You have pros and cons on ALL software out there. Just test drive them. YOU are the one who has to use it.

    Leave a comment:


  • MDEA
    replied
    taxact

    I used Taxwise for 15 years switched to Drake 2 years ago. I used to kid my friends(that used Drake) that they belonged to a cult I am happy to say I joined that cult. Using Macros and once you understand the software basic returns take no time. Plus the price and support are great.

    Leave a comment:


  • JohnH
    replied
    Originally posted by Rapid Robert
    It's funny [to me] that the initial post was a question about TaxAct and ProSeries, and yet every reply so far is talking primarily about Drake. Yes, I realize the OP said "looking for an alternative". But more than any other software, it's the Drake users who are most often trying to proselytize.
    Drake users used to provoke the same reaction from me, until I finally decided to give it an honest evaluation.

    Leave a comment:


  • ATSMAN
    replied
    Originally posted by Rapid Robert
    It's funny [to me] that the initial post was a question about TaxAct and ProSeries, and yet every reply so far is talking primarily about Drake. Yes, I realize the OP said "looking for an alternative". But more than any other software, it's the Drake users who are most often trying to proselytize.
    Perhaps other posters should offer suggestions about other software they like and why, and let the OP take all that in and make an informed decision.

    Leave a comment:


  • Rapid Robert
    replied
    It's funny [to me] that the initial post was a question about TaxAct and ProSeries, and yet every reply so far is talking primarily about Drake. Yes, I realize the OP said "looking for an alternative". But more than any other software, it's the Drake users who are most often trying to proselytize.
    Last edited by Rapid Robert; 05-19-2018, 04:20 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • JohnH
    replied
    I agree. I've never seen anything to rival Drake in terms of speed. It is lightning fast. All one needs to do is shed their dependence on bells & whistles and concentrate on the fastest way to get the job done. I've spoken with lots of people who just won't make the transition, or are willing to accept less efficiency rather than invest the time necessary to make the switch.

    For some, the learning curve is too steep. It begins with less reliance on the mouse, learning the keyboard shortcuts, and abandoning forms-based data entry (which is vastly overrated IMO). The other major benefit Drake offers is their superb macro capability. Once the user learns how to write their own macros, efficiency increases exponentially.

    Leave a comment:


  • ATSMAN
    replied
    Originally posted by Twin Turbo Z
    Drakes GUI is not as user friendly and productive as Proseries. We demo Drake every other year, to look at any changes. And for us the extra monies spent on Proseries is well worth the more efficient GUI (time savings per return). Get the demo of Drake, then get familiar with it. Then do a couple bogus returns (simple and complex), on Drake and Proseries. See which one is more efficient and offers what you need.
    I can tell you right now that you are going to have a learning curve with the data entry screens in Drake if you have used Proseries for a number of years. But once you get used to the Drake screens, you can significantly speed up the time it takes to crank out a return. Most people get frustrated with the Drake screens when they are demoing and give up. I did the same before until I forced myself to give it another shot with open mind and it did the trick.

    I have tried almost all the mid tiered products and find Drake to have the fastest calculation speed.

    Leave a comment:

Working...