No announcement yet.

It's Spring Baseball season with prospective new clients: here's how it works:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's Spring Baseball season with prospective new clients: here's how it works:

Phone call late in the tax season from prospective new client:
    Strike One: (Hello, I'm calling to have my taxes prepared) "Really? this late?"
    Strike Two: (How much do you charge? My taxes are simple) "150 per hour for my time, this one sounds like it may be trouble"
    Strike Three: (I do not want to file an extension) Strike three your out. "I'm sorry I cannot help you, however most people with simple taxes and do not want to pay very much do it on Turbo Tax online, thats my suggestion".

I wish everyone a smooth home stretch.

Best question I get....

"Are you busy?"

Comment

Originally posted by John of PA View Post
      Phone call late in the tax season from prospective new client:
      Strike One: (Hello, I'm calling to have my taxes prepared) "Really? this late?"
      Strike Two: (How much do you charge? My taxes are simple) "150 per hour for my time, this one sounds like it may be trouble"
      Strike Three: (I do not want to file an extension) Strike three your out. "I'm sorry I cannot help you, however most people with simple taxes and do not want to pay very much do it on Turbo Tax online, thats my suggestion".

I wish everyone a smooth home stretch.
      I like it. My approach is similar, except I go straight to the extension in the first conversation. That often allows me to skip Strike Two and go directly to Strike Three.

Best wishes to everyone on the smooth home stretch. Don't waste your mental & physical energy working yourself to death trying to be a martyr. In spite of what they might say, the clients really aren't impressed; they don't care about your health and the few marginal dollars aren't with the risk.
      Last edited by JohnH; 03-27-2018, 05:38 AM.
      "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Good point on being a maryter. Yes I'm busy but sometime need to use the other side of my brian to keep balanced.

Comment

The conversations you describe above are obviously new clients, or they would know the answers. Unless they are referrals from current clients, I don't entertain them at all. And even then sometimes I turn them down. I like to interview them as much as they want to interview me.

Comment

Originally posted by Burke View Post
            I like to interview them as much as they want to interview me.
            Great point. Everyone in this business should take note. Sometimes that mindset will drastically change how we view a prospective client. They have to be just as good a fit for us as we are for them. In just the past few days a someone on another forum said a prospective new client asked for a copy of their E&O coverage. Most of the replies ran along the lines of "Run, Forest, Run!"
            "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Yes they are new clients and I agree referrals are the best. But I don't mind being a maryter if the client is willing to pay my special maryter fee. I learned once from one of my bosses early in my career "Service them and charge them". Give them what they want if they are willing to pay the fee.

Comment

I've got a lot of regular clients coming in last minute. Many with bookkeeping to do for the year. Not sure what is going on as they know I do extensions staring this week. Spring break starts next week here and I know they will be piling in the following week. But hey if I can get them done and charge them for my extra sweat then so be it.

Comment

I've had people call me about my services who explained that they were looking for a new tax preparer b/c their current one charges too much money. I understand being sensitive to cost, but I've learned that when this is the client's number 1 concern, it's not the type of person I want to do business with.

Comment

You could always tell them that buying accounting/tax services is like buying oats. For a reasonable price I can get you top quality oats. But if cost is your only consideration, then for a slightly lower price you can find someone who will provide you oats that have already been through the horse.

Comment

Go for it Geekgirl, Service them and charge. I doubt you will get much resistance on the fee if you come through for them. Tell them you will "see what you can do, but it looks good that I can do it" then get it done. You can rest later.

Comment

Working...
                      X