Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will filing a $0 return have any impact on student loans?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will filing a $0 return have any impact on student loans?

I have a college student in Indiana who will be graduating veterinary school soon (Purdue University). She was advised by the (Veterinarian/Professor she has been training with) to file a $0 return (she did not have any income) which will help defer her student loans for another year, allowing her to get grounded before she has to start repaying the loans and interest. I have tried to find information on this, for no other reason than just to know for sure, as I had never heard this before. I don't mind to do it, but I don't want to lead her to believe this is true if it is not. Has anyone else ever heard this or have any information on this?

Did the student ask the holders of her student loans? Or, read her contracts for her loans?

Comment

Student loan repayment is tied to income. Many married couples file separate so that the taxpayer with the loan gets a lower repayment amount. Even if the loose a few bucks on filing, they may save hundreds on repayments. And I know each year taxpayers with student loans have to supply a new tax return. If they dont have to file, they may base loan repayments on most recent filing.

Comment

Working...
      X