No announcement yet.

Eitc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would be interested in any cite or reg. that would allow the dependent mother to claim EITC on her own return using her child.

The last poster suggested that grandparents should claim their daughter and grandchild and I agree with that.
    Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

Eitc

Originally posted by ATSMAN View Post
      I would be interested in any cite or reg. that would allow the dependent mother to claim EITC on her own return using her child.

The last poster suggested that grandparents should claim their daughter and grandchild and I agree with that.
      While in most cases it would be more advantageous for grandparents to claim granddaughter, there are rare instances where that is not the case. In those instances, daughter can be claimed as a dependent and as long as she has a qualifying child and she, herself, is not a qualifying child, she can take the EITC. See table in pub. 596 on page 2 - Earned Income Tax Credit In A Nut Shell.

Peggy Sioux

Comment

Originally posted by ATSMAN View Post

Even though it is strange, code states that mother is eligible since she has a qualfying child and is not a qualifying child herself. https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/26/32

Comment

Maybe you could try looking at your program’s underlying EIC eligibility worksheet.

There’s a checklist in Pub 596 on p. 30, though my program’s looks a little different.

But in either case, there’s a question (#7 in the pub’s checklist) of whether you are a qualifying child (as opposed to asking if you are a dependent) of another person. I have to check the box yes or no on the similar worksheet in my program. If you have such a question, you could see how it is answered. (Though you mention your question is phrased as asking if you are a "dependent.")

I mocked your situation, and EIC was calculated.

Comment

Eitc

Originally posted by BP. View Post
            Maybe you could try looking at your program’s underlying EIC eligibility worksheet.

There’s a checklist in Pub 596 on p. 30, though my program’s looks a little different.

But in either case, there’s a question (#7 in the pub’s checklist) of whether you are a qualifying child (as opposed to asking if you are a dependent) of another person. I have to check the box yes or no on the similar worksheet in my program. If you have such a question, you could see how it is answered. (Though you mention your question is phrased as asking if you are a "dependent.")

I mocked your situation, and EIC was calculated.
            I spoke with Drake this morning and it is a Drake issue. They are sending the issue to programmers. Thank you all for your input.

Peggy Sioux

Comment

Working...
            X