Electing S Corp. Status

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electing S Corp. Status

C Corp. on a calendar year, wants to elect to file as S Corp. effective with the year beginning Jan. 1, 2006. Recognizing that this should have been done by March 15, 2006,
    what can be done at this time to make the election?
    There have been a lot of illness on the tax preparers part in the 1st half of the year.
    This client did get married towards the end of Dec., 2005.
    Any suggestions will be appreciated. All of you knowledgeable people out
    there have been very generous and for that I am grateful.

Originally posted by Bird Legs
    C Corp. on a calendar year, wants to elect to file as S Corp. effective with the year beginning Jan. 1, 2006. Recognizing that this should have been done by March 15, 2006,
    There have been a lot of illness on the tax preparers part in the 1st half of the year.
    Sorry Bird Legs but I think you are S.O.L. on this one. Maybe just maybe you could use that REV Proc that allows any excuse. I think it is REv Proc 2004-48. Excuse would be that accountant and attorney miscommunicated on who whould actually file the 2553. I personally have used that excuse and it has worked. Good luck maybe someone else has a better idea

Comment

Originally posted by Bird Legs
      See page 19-4 of TTB. Rev. Proc. 2003-43. You can ask for relief from a late election if no return has been filed up to six months after the due date of the S corp return.

The IRS will usually grant the request if everybody would otherwise qualifiy.

Comment

Helpful IRS Personnel

Call [names and numbers deleted] and explain the problem. They are very helpful, & if it can be done, they'll cut through the BS.
        Last edited by TMI Moderator; 09-30-2007, 01:26 PM. Reason: No longer valid per IRS

Comment

Late S Corp Election

The prior poster is correct - so long as the late election is not later than 6 months - you can probably clear it up with IRS at the number given in the prior post. I have dealt with Stephanie Stegan for one client - and she was really helpful.
          Uncle Sam, CPA, EA. ARA, NTPI Fellow

Comment

Thanks to everyone,

Rosieea, Sea Tax, Armando, Uncle Sam. Really appreciate it. Am becoming a
            little brain dead from all the heat here in Tx. and sometimes don't think straight.

Comment

Appears you have all the right answers to your questions Birdlegs. Repost if any other questions.

Comment

Working...
              X