RMD for beneficiary?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RMD for beneficiary?

my son-in-law (52) died in 2017, my daughter (52) had bank set up beneficiary IRA to put his IRA. no withdrawing. but my software is asking about excess withdrawal penalty. does she have to withdraw before she reaches 70 1/2 or do I have to look up IRS tables. this is first time having this kind of thing happen before either reaches the 70 year old. would appreciate any advice.

Originally posted by taxmom34 View Post
    my son-in-law (52) died in 2017, my daughter (52) had bank set up beneficiary IRA to put his IRA. no withdrawing. but my software is asking about excess withdrawal penalty. does she have to withdraw before she reaches 70 1/2 or do I have to look up IRS tables. this is first time having this kind of thing happen before either reaches the 70 year old. would appreciate any advice.
    The answer is in TTB 13-24.

Comment

thank you very much. my thinking was right, software put doubt in my mind.

Comment

Originally posted by taxmom34 View Post
        my son-in-law (52) died in 2017, my daughter (52) had bank set up beneficiary IRA to put his IRA. no withdrawing. but my software is asking about excess withdrawal penalty.
        The software must be asking about penalty because there was a 1099-R issued. What was the code in Box 7? Did the custodian do a direct transfer?

Comment

there was a pension , form 1099R was issued with code 4 (death), and the IRA was direct transfer, no 1099R. now I'm wondering why software was asking about the pension when it didn't know about the IRA, only the pension.

Comment

Working...
          X