Adult Day Care

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adult Day Care

I have a client who pays for adult day care for his wife who has dementia, so that he could go back to work part time. Do these expenses qualify for dependent care expenses or do they belong under Schedule A as part of the medical expenses? I have looked at Publication 503 and it states that "your spouse who wasn't physically or mentally able to care for himself or herself and lived with you for more than half the year is a qualifying person" under child and dependent care expenses; however, it also says "a dependent is a person, other than you or your spouse, for whom you can claim an exemption". I am confused as to where these expenses would qualify under!

Originally posted by jrgwmay View Post
    Do these expenses qualify for dependent care expenses

I have looked at Publication 503

it also says "a dependent is a person, other than you or your spouse, for whom you can claim an exemption". I am confused as to where these expenses would qualify under!
    Yes, to your question.

The pub is perfectly clear. It states there are several categories of qualifying persons, and gives a list. The list includes the spouse as you described, and also a dependent meeting additional criteria. The pub then goes on to define "dependent". What are you confused about?
    "You said it, they'll never know the difference. Come on, we'll paint our way out!" - Moe Howard

Comment

Working...
    X