Earned Income Credit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Earned Income Credit

Taxpayer whose income is 28,000.00 has a daughter who was a fulltime student up to June of 2017.
    The daughter received social security in the amount of 6,600.00
    Earned income from two jobs 6,500.00
    Income on a 1099M from an Indian Tribe that she will be getting a stipend yearly from in the amount of 11,700.00.
    The taxpayer lives in a rental home that her mom owns and does not pay any rent so her annual cost are minimal.
    My question is seeing that the daughter has income of approximately 24,500.00, mothers support is minimal can the mother file the daughter as a dependent and take the EIC credit?
    Am I missing anything?
    Thanks,

it depends on the age of the daughter. was she 25 or older or younger. Just looking at the numbers without all info, I would say mom $28, 000 daughter $24,000 . did daughter put most of her income in bank?

Comment

Curious when you....

Originally posted by taxmom34 View Post
      it depends on the age of the daughter. was she 25 or older or younger. Just looking at the numbers without all info, I would say mom $28, 000 daughter $24,000 . did daughter put most of her income in bank?
      ask "did daughter put most of her income in bank?" What is the tax consequences if yes or no? Is that a requirement of EIC?
      Last edited by TAXNJ; 02-25-2018, 10:26 AM.
      Always cite your source for support to defend your opinion

Comment

Question is....

Originally posted by Jeter2016 View Post
        Taxpayer whose income is 28,000.00 has a daughter who was a fulltime student up to June of 2017.
        The daughter received social security in the amount of 6,600.00
        Earned income from two jobs 6,500.00
        Income on a 1099M from an Indian Tribe that she will be getting a stipend yearly from in the amount of 11,700.00.
        The taxpayer lives in a rental home that her mom owns and does not pay any rent so her annual cost are minimal.
        My question is seeing that the daughter has income of approximately 24,500.00, mothers support is minimal can the mother file the daughter as a dependent and take the EIC credit?
        Am I missing anything?
        Thanks,
        how are you treating the Indian Tribe stipend? Since you are in a better position to know the complete client issues, doe the following link help with some of the issue?

Insights into types of nontaxable and treaty-sourced income distributions; the treatment of income derived from allotted land; and the tax implications of income derived from land that has been removed from trust.

Comment

your EIC support test question

Originally posted by Jeter2016 View Post
          My question . . . , mothers support is minimal can the mother . . . take the EIC credit?
          See TTB 11-9- They've written a plain answer about the support test & EIC.

Comment

Excellent reference for scenario....

Originally posted by BP. View Post
            See TTB 11-9- They've written a plain answer about the support test & EIC.
            Still curious to understand poster Taxmom comment "did daughter put most of her income in bank?." and what if any is the tax consequences if yes or no?

Comment

if daughter put the money in bank it was not used for support, it is used to determine support

Comment

Originally posted by taxmom34 View Post
                if daughter put the money in bank it was not used for support, it is used to determine support
                Thanks for the explanation. That's interesting. OP should reference TTB as reply poster BP suggests. Think that is the best solution to address the scenario.

Comment

Working...
                X