Taxbuzz FYI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Taxbuzz FYI

Just got a call from a young client saying she requested an appointment online. I have never set anything up to do this.

It appears there is a site taxbuzz.com that takes our information, puts it on their site and gives people who find it the option of making an appointment online.

I left them a pointed message that they are not authorized to do this. Just a heads up for others to check if they are using your info.

Went to TaxBuzz.com and put in my info as a potential client; I received a list of WI accountants even though I live in CT and used my real zip!

Comment

TaxBuzz.com emailed me to say I must have typed in a wrong zip code. I did not; I
      checked before I sent. And, the WI preparer who called me knew that my zip is in CT. That preparer also said he never signed up for the service.

Comment

These people are unbelievable. There was a consumer alert above my name, and clicking it brings up:

"SOME DATA MAY BE OUT-OF-DATE

TaxBuzz uses basic business information from third-party data providers. We have built our database from these public records and sources. In the process, some of the data may appear out-of-date. We allow business owners to claim their listings to make sure we are showing the most accurate profiles and contact information.

This profile has been flagged as possibly being out-of-date, and it may mean the professional is no longer practicing or has not renewed their Preparer Tax Identification Number (PTIN) with the IRS which is required to prepare and sign tax returns. If this is your business, feel free to claim this listing and update your profile information to bring the profile to live status."

Called again and talked w/ a real person. They refused to remove my info from their site. How the hell can it be legal that they are claiming to set up an appointment and then say that I may be out of business or not up to date on PTIN?

Comment

Originally posted by kathyc2 View Post
          These people are unbelievable. There was a consumer alert above my name, and clicking it brings up:

"SOME DATA MAY BE OUT-OF-DATE

TaxBuzz uses basic business information from third-party data providers. We have built our database from these public records and sources. In the process, some of the data may appear out-of-date. We allow business owners to claim their listings to make sure we are showing the most accurate profiles and contact information.

This profile has been flagged as possibly being out-of-date, and it may mean the professional is no longer practicing or has not renewed their Preparer Tax Identification Number (PTIN) with the IRS which is required to prepare and sign tax returns. If this is your business, feel free to claim this listing and update your profile information to bring the profile to live status."

Called again and talked w/ a real person. They refused to remove my info from their site. How the hell can it be legal that they are claiming to set up an appointment and then say that I may be out of business or not up to date on PTIN?
          It is a SCAM! I too got calls from stranger who got my name and phone number (from the internet they say). All you got to do is ask some questions and then hangup. I am sure they downloaded the entire database of PTIN holders from the IRS website when it was available. It had our full name, business address, phone # and e-mail address and IRS claims that information is in public domain!

I would not waste my time challenging Taxbuzz, just be aware who you talk to!
          Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

Originally posted by ATSMAN View Post
            It is a SCAM! I too got calls from stranger who got my name and phone number (from the internet they say). All you got to do is ask some questions and then hangup. I am sure they downloaded the entire database of PTIN holders from the IRS website when it was available. It had our full name, business address, phone # and e-mail address and IRS claims that information is in public domain!

I would not waste my time challenging Taxbuzz, just be aware who you talk to!
            That's not what happened. A young returning client googled me to get number and this site came up to make it look like she could make an appointment that way. There are numerous sites that list our info, but I've never seen one before that make it look like that's a way to make an appointment. Then they have incorrect info on me.... and I'm not in a mood to be messed with today.

Comment

Report them to FTC
              Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Originally posted by taxea View Post
                Report them to FTC
                Good luck with that. Our current government is doing everything it can to remove consumer protections, disable federal agencies, and so on. Protecting the average citizen from scams and rip-offs is the least of their concern. Is there even anyone serious in charge of FTC, or is it like the IRS, with a part-time placeholder at the top?
                "You said it, they'll never know the difference. Come on, we'll paint our way out!" - Moe Howard

Comment

Originally posted by kathyc2 View Post
                  Just got a call from a young client saying she requested an appointment online. I have never set anything up to do this.

It appears there is a site taxbuzz.com that takes our information, puts it on their site and gives people who find it the option of making an appointment online.

I left them a pointed message that they are not authorized to do this. Just a heads up for others to check if they are using your info.
                  C'mon Kathy - you're just jealous you didn't make the TaxBuzz Top 100 Professionals of 2017. LOL (BTW, full disclosure - neither did I )

I couldn't believe NAEA posted on January 18th to its Twitter and FB accounts to congratulate the 23 members who made it to the list. OMG

The top 100 were all "5 Star" tax professionals.

Comment

Working...
                  X