Amending Now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amending Now?

I have two Forms 1040X to file. Due to the government shutdown, I am thinking it is better to not mail these in until the shutdown is over.
    What is your opinion?

Originally posted by Kram BergGold View Post
    I have two Forms 1040X to file. Due to the government shutdown, I am thinking it is better to not mail these in until the shutdown is over.
    What is your opinion?
    I agree with you because 1040X can't be e-filed and IRS already said that paper filings will be stacked up during shutdown. Hopefully shutdown will end today!
    Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

I don't understand why waiting to mail it would get the return processed any faster?

Comment

Originally posted by kathyc2 View Post
        I don't understand why waiting to mail it would get the return processed any faster?
        Same here. OP says he "thinks it would be better" not to mail, but does not explain why he thinks that. Then ATSMAN implies that the return mailed in later will somehow skip to the front of the line, over the returns that "stack up", when in fact the only reasonable approach to processing would be FIFO.

Why don't you be honest, tell the client you have no clue what will happen, and let them decide when to mail. I never mail returns for my clients anyway, I don't want to take responsibility for something I have no control over. Just give them the envelope.
        "You said it, they'll never know the difference. Come on, we'll paint our way out!" - Moe Howard

Comment

My Concern

My fear is that a letter in the stack will have a greater probability of getting lost. I should have stated my reason for concern.

Comment

Originally posted by FEDUKE404
            FWIW: Even without a government shutdown, it was somewhere around six months from the original submission to IRS Office A that client received a letter from IRS Office B requesting the "necessary forms." From start to finish, it took almost a year for the correct refund to be issued to the client.
            You get the government you voted for.
            "You said it, they'll never know the difference. Come on, we'll paint our way out!" - Moe Howard

Comment

Originally posted by Rapid Robert View Post
              You get the government you voted for.
              It was equally bad regardless of the party in power. I guess it is just the nature of the business!
              Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

Originally posted by ATSMAN View Post
                It was equally bad regardless of the party in power. I guess it is just the nature of the business!
                Can you provide any facts to back that up? Back before 2010, how many complaints about routine amended returns taking over half a year were there?

Only one party has controlled Congressional spending since 2010. You get the government you voted for. Is this a political comment? You decide. It's definitely about effective tax administration, and serving the needs of the taxpayer, which I believe are considered legitimate topics for discussion at this board.

How would your service to your own clients change if you had to cut your current fees 18%? Do you think, maybe some of these 13,000 employees might have been involved in processing amended returns?

"The IRS has been targeted for sharp funding cuts since 2010. Its current budget of $11.2 billion is 18 percent below the 2010 level, after adjusting for inflation.[5] As most IRS funding goes to staffing, the cuts have forced the IRS to dramatically reduce its workforce; the agency lost roughly 13,000 employees — around 14 percent of its workforce — between 2010 and 2016.[6] "

The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) budget has been cut by 18 percent since 2010, after adjusting for inflation, and the agency has lost roughly 13,000 employees — around 14 percent of its...

Taxpayer Advocate, who we might suspect is non partisan, states IRS funding cuts are the biggest single problem facing taxpayers.

Comment

I guess I touched a raw nerve!

I am not a fan of either party. In my personal experience IRS has been the same regardless who was in power.

Comment

Working...
                  X