Owner Paid Wages and withheld taxes-Payroll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Owner Paid Wages and withheld taxes-Payroll

New client that is hiring me to review his accounting and payroll for 2017. As the owner he paid himself 4 payroll checks and withheld payroll taxes, social security, etc. One check per quarter.

The good news is he actually did pay all his payroll taxes on a semi-weekly basis for Federal and Monthly for State. States he filed the 941's and State tax forms quarterly but no record that I can find in his paperwork.

Should I file all payroll forms to match total payroll for 941 and include his wages and then complete an amended 941 and not issue him a W-2 and not include in W-3? or file the forms without included his wage if he hasn't filed them yet? I assume he will just get a refund for the overpayment?

Trying to figure out the best approach before we file all the year-end payroll paperwork

How can I verify he filed his quarterly payroll forms?

Thanks.

Will you be doing the 4th Qtr Form 941 and State forms?

If he can't provide you copies of the payroll forms filed... I would say get a POA and go to eservices but that will more than likely take too long on processing the POA.
    I would prepare the 4th quarter and year end forms like "normal". The IRS and/or States will come a calling if the other quarterly forms were never filed.
    If that is true then you can prepare them when the letters are received.

Comment

Would you give the owner a w-2 or remove those wages and claim overpayment?

Comment

Originally posted by KC-CPA View Post
        New client that is hiring me to review his accounting and payroll for 2017. As the owner he paid himself 4 payroll checks and withheld payroll taxes, social security, etc. One check per quarter.

The good news is he actually did pay all his payroll taxes on a semi-weekly basis for Federal and Monthly for State. States he filed the 941's and State tax forms quarterly but no record that I can find in his paperwork.

Should I file all payroll forms to match total payroll for 941 and include his wages and then complete an amended 941 and not issue him a W-2 and not include in W-3? or file the forms without included his wage if he hasn't filed them yet? I assume he will just get a refund for the overpayment?

Trying to figure out the best approach before we file all the year-end payroll paperwork

How can I verify he filed his quarterly payroll forms?

Thanks.
        You can continue to file the payroll. I don't think it would be necessary to do an amended 941. When the W-2 is completed, the W-2 can be included on 2017 tax return and an overpayment will probably result. As KC suggested, you can get a POA, and request or download her transcripts; or call IRS Practitioner Priority Service hotline - 866-860-4259, as request the transcripts be faxed to you - which is the quickest way, to me.

Comment

Working...
        X