Calculator for Interest and Penalties

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Calculator for Interest and Penalties

Can anyone refer me to an online calculator for Late Pay, Late File and Interest?

Thanks

Sandy

irs.gov search interest
    Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Here is one that I Google.

The easiest, most accurate, most advanced, IRS penalty & interest calculator available with an accuracy guarantee.

Comment

Also, see what's already within your tax prep software.

Comment

Thanks!

Tax Software is weak on the Interest and Penalties, in particular the States

I have used (trial) the irscalculators, easy to use, and seems accurate and you can change scenarios/dates, however, will not calculate States.

Found Time Value Tax Interest - will calculate States and other IRS penalties, so will more than likely go with that

Sandy

Comment

Sandy, this is not online but is the software I use to calculate penalties and interest:

Interest and penalty calculations are easy with TaxInterest software products. Compute IRS and state interest calculations and compute IRS penalties in seconds.

The upfront price is $198 and renewals are $99. I am glad I got it as it gives clients a idea of what to expect.

Comment

Originally posted by S T View Post
              Tax Software is weak on the Interest and Penalties, in particular the States
              Maybe YOUR software is weak, do you buy the "cheap" brand, the one where they provide a lot of phone support in lieu of enhancing their software? :-)

There are well-known professional tax software packages out there which do indeed calculate state interest and penalties along with federal, included in the base software.

As you have discovered, no one seems to provide a truly free calculator for this. You could always build your own spreadsheet, wouldn't be too hard, since there are date functions in excel to calculate days elapsed.
              "You said it, they'll never know the difference. Come on, we'll paint our way out!" - Moe Howard

Comment

Originally posted by geekgirldany View Post
                it gives clients a idea of what to expect.
                Instead of just "giving them an idea", my software not only calculates the penalties, but will include them in the refund/balance due calculation, putting the info at the bottom of Form 1040 page 2 just as the IRS expects. This can be suppressed, of course, if taxpayer prefers to get an IRS letter and have to go through the payment process all over again.
                "You said it, they'll never know the difference. Come on, we'll paint our way out!" - Moe Howard

Comment

Ultra Tax user

I had two refunds on penalties for clients. Ultra Tax had calculated the first (2210 only) at $1,028 and they refunded him around $436 and the second Ultra had calculated at around $700 and he received $125. They sent me the notice and on both the penalty was calculated in detail by dates. For the time period 9/30/16 to 1/31/17 no charge. I asked Ultra if there was a change that they and I were not aware of? They said no. I pointed out to both clients the line I thought was done wrong by the IRS and they chuckled. Could it have been a blow by the IRS computers???

Comment

Originally posted by JON View Post
                    I had two refunds on penalties for clients. Ultra Tax had calculated the first (2210 only)
                    For the time period 9/30/16 to 1/31/17 no charge.
                    The original question was about FTF and FTP penalties, which are pretty straightforward to calculate. There are a lot of ways a 2210 amount can be incorrect, such as incorrect amounts or dates for estimated payments, incorrect prior year amounts, or an annualized calculation done wrong. Form 2210 isn't really a penalty, it's a late payment interest charge. The dates of 9/30 and 1/31 would not be special for any 2210 calculation.

Comment

Working...
                    X