Letters to t/p to curb fraud in CA??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Letters to t/p to curb fraud in CA??

A first. A client received a letter from CA FTB saying they had been randomly selected to provide information (CADL, SS cards, W-2, 1099s, etc.) to make sure they are the ones that filed the 2016 return. Very odd to me. All income, refunds and personal information is almost identical in past returns. I thought I would check in here before I call FTB.

Thank you.
    Dennis

Originally posted by DTS View Post
    A first. A client received a letter from CA FTB saying they had been randomly selected to provide information (CADL, SS cards, W-2, 1099s, etc.) to make sure they are the ones that filed the 2016 return. Very odd to me. All income, refunds and personal information is almost identical in past returns. I thought I would check in here before I call FTB.
    Is a refund being held up? Does the letter say what happens if taxpayer does not respond?
    "You said it, they'll never know the difference. Come on, we'll paint our way out!" - Moe Howard

Comment

Letter

A modest refund is being held up, $2,100. No, nothing mentioned about not responding to the letter, just did you file this return or did you not. I think this is legitimate. FTB website mentions refunds being held up for this, but I am concerned about submitting the information I mentioned earlier.

Comment

Originally posted by DTS View Post
        A modest refund is being held up, $2,100. No, nothing mentioned about not responding to the letter, just did you file this return or did you not. I think this is legitimate. FTB website mentions refunds being held up for this, but I am concerned about submitting the information I mentioned earlier.
        To me, $2,100 is a little more than modest refund. Here is a 1-minute podcast from Spidell that should help, about two different CA FTB letters, one of them is probably yours.

This week we’re talking about two notices the FTB may send to a taxpayer when they suspect identity theft, and the fastest way to handle these notices.
        "You said it, they'll never know the difference. Come on, we'll paint our way out!" - Moe Howard

Comment

Working...
        X