Closing a Business Account with the IRS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Closing a Business Account with the IRS

I am assisting an S Corporation owner with closing his business. The business has been in existence for years and has been paying employment taxes and filing tax returns. I am looking at a web page on the IRS web site that is titled Canceling an EIN - Closing Your Account. Is it required, a good idea, or a bad idea in this situation to write to the IRS and ask for the closing of the business account for this S Corporation once all other business closing requirements have been completed?

Closing a Business Account

If the corporation is going to be dissolved - you need to file a Form 966 with IRS. Then any appropriate documents
    with the state tax department (if required) notifying them the corporation wishes to dissolve.
    File all returns - payroll, sales tax, corporation tax as "Final" marked on the returns. Also file required W-2s/1099s.
    Then - once you file the dissolution forms - the corporation is considered closed and the EI# associated with it automatically
    gets terminated.
    Uncle Sam, CPA, EA. ARA, NTPI Fellow

Comment

Originally posted by Tax Sleuth View Post
      I am assisting an S Corporation owner with closing his business. The business has been in existence for years and has been paying employment taxes and filing tax returns. I am looking at a web page on the IRS web site that is titled Canceling an EIN - Closing Your Account. Is it required, a good idea, or a bad idea in this situation to write to the IRS and ask for the closing of the business account for this S Corporation once all other business closing requirements have been completed?
      If this corporation files in MA, pls. make sure you also file with the secretary of state the dissolution of corp form otherwise they will keep on billing you the annual fee!
      Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

Working...
      X