Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Foreign Earned Income Exclusion (Antarctica)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Foreign Earned Income Exclusion (Antarctica)

My client was in Antarctica to work at the South Pole station employed by a US company. He left October of 2015 and didn't return until November of 2016.

Based on the Physical Presence test, would Antarctica qualify? I will get his passport to verify the dates & that he didn't come home... I guess they don't fly back and forth certain times of the year anyways due to weather.

Thanks.

That's an interesting question, because although Antarctica is definitely a very foreign place, it is not a foreign country. Thus, neither the foreign earned income exclusion nor the the foreign housing exclusion apply.
    Roland Slugg
    "I do what I can."

Comment

Thanks Roland for confirming that for me!

Originally posted by Roland Slugg View Post
      That's an interesting question, because although Antarctica is definitely a very foreign place, it is not a foreign country. Thus, neither the foreign earned income exclusion nor the the foreign housing exclusion apply.
      That is what I was thinking. That's why I asked the question...it doesn't seem fair. That's the way it goes.

Thanks for confirming that for me!

Comment

My first thought was that it does qualify as a Foreign Country, but apparently I am wrong. This question has been brought to Tax Court:

TAX CASE RC section 911(a) permits any U.S. citizen who resides and works in a foreign country to exclude up to $80,000 of earned income. To qualify for the exclusion, citizens must perform the services while their tax home is in a foreign country and must reside in that country

Comment

Working...
        X