1099-MISC from energy company for net metering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1099-MISC from energy company for net metering

My client received a 1099-MISC form $5800 from the power company for energy sold back to the power company. Is this taxable income treated as other income or is it considered a discount on the electrical bill? Where should it be reported since a 1099 was issued? Thanks

the money was reported on 1099misc, what box?

Comment

Income likely

Sounds seriously like income to me, hence the Form 1099-MISC.

Curious: What kind of power bills does this person have to even consider a $5,800 "discount" ??

FE

Comment

Review the client's net metering contract with the PV company
        Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Originally posted by taxmom34 View Post
          the money was reported on 1099misc, what box?
          Box 7 nonemployee compensation

Comment

looks like power company considers client as an employee and paid wages of $5800 subject to SE. you probably need more info from client.

Comment

Originally posted by taxmom34
              looks like power company considers client as an employee.
              Interesting. Line 7 of form 1099-MISC says "Nonemployee compensation."

$5,800 represents a pretty serious electricity generation and sell-back, and not the level you typically see for individuals who sell the excess wattage from their residential solar system. Does your client own a windmill or two? A solar farm? A geothermal vent?

After spending a couple minutes looking for something on point ... a feeble effort, not a very serious one ... I found nothing specific. I do know, however, that amounts paid to owners of a working interest in an oil or gas investment are reported in Box 7, and this may be similar.
              Roland Slugg
              "I do what I can."

Comment

Working...
              X