Taxability of a Class Action Settlement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Taxability of a Class Action Settlement

What are you supposed to do when a taxpayer has received a Court-approved Health Net class action settlement in 2016? The taxpayer did receive about $50.00 because of this settlement. According to the letter, none of the distribution was already taxed. Is this money likely taxable and should it be shown on Line 21 - Other Income on Form 1040, or am I incorrect?

Originally posted by Tax Sleuth View Post
    What are you supposed to do when a taxpayer has received a Court-approved Health Net class action settlement in 2016? The taxpayer did receive about $50.00 because of this settlement. According to the letter, none of the distribution was already taxed. Is this money likely taxable and should it be shown on Line 21 - Other Income on Form 1040, or am I incorrect?
    If the money was used to increase a refund (sch a or sch c)deduction, then I would.

If it was not, then its just a refund of fees paid for something.

Chris

Comment

Was a 1099misc issued? You need to look at the documents.
      Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

To my knowledge, there was no Form 1099-MISC. The letter does not state anything about that. It sounds like it is safer to include the money as Other Income even if it does not have to be there.

Comment

if no 1099misc, is it possible the company would have determined that it was not taxable. just guessing.

Comment

Working...
          X