Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bought Stock in One State and Sold After Moving?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bought Stock in One State and Sold After Moving?

New client worked in Minnesota and purchased company stock while employed there. Retired and moved to Nevada where he then sold his stock. No problem on the Federal but what state does he report the stock sale? Nevada has no state income tax. To make it more confusing, the wife still lives and works in Minnesota.
    Hmmmmm

Originally posted by zeros View Post
    New client worked in Minnesota and purchased company stock while employed there. Retired and moved to Nevada where he then sold his stock. No problem on the Federal but what state does he report the stock sale? Nevada has no state income tax. To make it more confusing, the wife still lives and works in Minnesota.
    Hmmmmm
    Most people in a situation like that file MFJ Federal and MFS state. Assuming the stocks were in the TP name only, and sold by TP while a resident of Nevada, MN has no claims to the CG. But if the stocks were jointly owned you have to allocate gain between the spouses and since Wife is still a resident of MN she will have to include that in MN return.
    Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

My understanding of the State taxation is the same as Atsman

Fortunately, my taxpayer is Single!

I currently have a taxpayer under a Calif Audit trying to tax Employee Stock and she retired and moved to Nevada sold Company Stock one year later , so we are fighting Calif Claim to taxation.

Sandy

Comment

Originally posted by zeros View Post
        Hmmmmm
        What kind of employer stock purchase? Statutory or non-statutory? If some of the income is ordinary income tied to work as employee, it may still have source in state where earned.

Also, Nevada is a community property state. If he is domiciled in NV, half his income MAY belong to his spouse, if it comes from community property, and needs to be taxed where she is a resident.
        "You said it, they'll never know the difference. Come on, we'll paint our way out!" - Moe Howard

Comment

Say what ??

Originally posted by S T View Post
          My understanding of the State taxation is the same as Atsman

Fortunately, my taxpayer is Single!

I currently have a taxpayer under a Calif Audit trying to tax Employee Stock and she retired and moved to Nevada sold Company Stock one year later , so we are fighting Calif Claim to taxation.

Sandy
          OK. . .I need a laugh.

How in the heck does CA possibly justify a tax claim on income from a stock sale of a person who lives in another state? ?

FE

Comment

If the stock was part of her compensation package from her CA employer when her tax home was in CA, then CA will argue that the proceeds from the sale are also CA-sourced income.

Comment

Working...
            X