Id

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Id

I use proseries. "Documents used to verify primary tax payer ID", if I click "no driver license or state ID", Is that mean I don't follow due diligence? Clients come in with w-2, 1099, 1098 do I still have to enter their driver license. I don't have EIC clients

See "Verifying Taxpayer Identification Numbers (TINs)" in Pub 1345 page 11. https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p1345.pdf#page=11

Comment

My understanding

The boxes about driver's licenses have to do with the states like NY that require driver license #s or states that want them but don't require them like RI.

Comment

The IRS does not directly use it this year for Identity Verification, but e-filing requires something to be entered (such as indicating you did not check the license).

A few states require it (such as Alabama, New York, Ohio, Rhode Island). https://accountants.intuit.com/suppo...te&id=SLN96510

Some states want it, and some say that refunds could be delayed if you don't enter it.

Some states don't use it at all.

I suspect that in future years, the IRS and most states will eventually require it.

Comment

I have always asked for a copy of SSC from 1st year clients for all names on returns. I guess I will start asking for DL copies from all TP and Spouse clients this year and new clients next year. Might as well nip it in the bud.
          Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Need for client driver license information

The trend is very clear that states are now "requesting" taxpayer driver license information. . .a separate issue from a Social Security number.

NC and VA have joined the pack for efiled (professionally prepared?) tax returns.

I now routinely ask for a copy of taxpayer (H/W if joint) driver license, or de minimis their DL number, state of issuance, issuance date, and expiration date.

Might as well get on the oncoming train. . . .

FE

Comment

Just finished a return for NY residents, and had to enter the normal drivers license info plus the numbers from the back of the license. Wasn't prepared for that as I have only been copying the front side.

Comment

Working...
              X