1095-A reconcile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1095-A reconcile

Client received a letter from IRS stating that she needs to reconcile 8962 for her dependent son who is insured through the Marketplace. However the son is insured by clients divorced husband who also insures himself and two other children under the same policy. The 1095-A would have all these figures combined. Is there anyway to separate out the sons portion? Or does the father need to report the 1095-A on his return since it's in his name?

EDIT: Sorry, I posted an answer to another question on this thread (I had them both open).

The 1095-A is entered on both tax returns, and part IV of Form 8962 is filled out for both of them.

IF they can agree to it, they can allocate any percentage they want to each other. If they can not agree, then 25% of each column is allocated on your client's tax return, and 75% is allocated to the other tax return (assuming the 1095-A covers a total of 4 people).

Most likely "Allocation Situation 4" applies to you: https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i8962.pdf#page=16
    Last edited by TaxGuyBill; 02-07-2017, 07:37 PM.

Comment

Thank You

Originally posted by TaxGuyBill View Post
      EDIT: Sorry, I posted an answer to another question on this thread (I had them both open).

The 1095-A is entered on both tax returns, and part IV of Form 8962 is filled out for both of them.

IF they can agree to it, they can allocate any percentage they want to each other. If they can not agree, then 25% of each column is allocated on your client's tax return, and 75% is allocated to the other tax return (assuming the 1095-A covers a total of 4 people).

Most likely "Allocation Situation 4" applies to you: https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i8962.pdf#page=16
      Thank you very much for your answer with reference! It seems so logical/obvious after you explain it!

Comment

Working...
      X