Recapture lost depreciation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recapture lost depreciation?

I have a new client that has owned a res rental property for 5 years. Whoever prepared his return before now never showed the purchase of the rental property on the Sch E so he has missed 5 years of depreciation on the structure. Is there a simple way to recapture the lost depreciation without having to amend 5 years of returns? Possibly "catching up" on the depreciation now and being normalized for next year?

Form 3115.

Comment

Originally posted by Lion View Post
      Form 3115.
      The question was if there was a simple way. :-)

I agree with Lion, Form 3115 needs to be filed to 'catch up' on the missed depreciation. If you have never done Form 3115, many people have appreciated the $20 package for Form 3115 from "BrassTax" (Google it). I haven't seen it, but I know many people said it was helpful.

Comment

Excellent. Thanks

Comment

Simple and thorough are not the same. Simple would be to amend open years and give up earlier depreciation. I do not recommend that to my clients. Thorough would be to file Form 3115.

I also agree that Lisa Ihm/BrassTax has a great inexpensive booklet on this, as well as other topics available.

Comment

Working...
          X