457 pension on W-2 reporting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

457 pension on W-2 reporting

New client is a county employee in a neighboring state and he contributes to a 457 retirement plan. The W-2 shows the amount in box 14 not box 12. Is that correct? I've only seen employee contributions to retirement in box 12, it would result in a retirement savings credit for him on the return. Or do I just put the amount on the RTS form 8880?
    "A man that holds a cat by the tail learns something he can learn no other way." - Mark Twain

A 457 plan is a deferred compensation plan. The contributions paid are pre-tax for income tax purposes, but are subject to FICA. They are considered deferred wages. The wages are then reported to the IRS & recipient in the years after retirement on a W-2, and subject to income taxes, but not FICA since that has already been paid. Instructions for the Saver's Credit indicate they are eligible for the credit. The W-2 is incorrect. They should be in Box 12, Code G. TP needs to get it corrected by employer.
    Last edited by Burke; 02-07-2017, 12:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Burke View Post
      A 457 plan is a deferred compensation plan. The contributions paid are pre-tax for income tax purposes, but are subject to FICA. They are considered wages. The wages are then reported to the IRS & recipient in the years after retirement on a W-2, and subject to income taxes, but not FICA since that has already been paid. Instructions for the Saver's Credit indicate they are eligible for the credit. The W-2 is incorrect. They should be in Box 12, Code G. TP needs to get it corrected by employer.
      I don't know the answer for sure but elective deferrals under a section 457 plan do qualify for the credit. However, box 14 is used for non-elective contributions to a retirement plan. Without knowing all the facts, is it possible the employer is making contributions other than elective deferrals?

I think TMdan needs to make further inquiries. I don't think any answer can be given with 100% certitude without a follow up by TMdan. The same situation can possibly occur in section 403(b) plans.

Comment

See if his final check stub clears up the question of elective vs. non-elective. Otherwise, or in addition to, have client speak with his HR/payroll/benefits department &/or the plan administrator. He should have or be able to get the plan summary. And, the paperwork he filled out making his election.

Comment

Originally posted by Lion View Post
          See if his final check stub clears up the question of elective vs. non-elective. Otherwise, or in addition to, have client speak with his HR/payroll/benefits department &/or the plan administrator. He should have or be able to get the plan summary. And, the paperwork he filled out making his election.
          The amount was not in box 1 but is in Box 3 & 5. The HR/payroll people say they've been doing it this way for 14 years and don't see what the problem is and ask why he is trying to start trouble. I was sure it belonged in 12 with code G and wanted to get a consensus from the board too. Thanks for the quick replies, have to see what HR/payroll is going to do.
          "A man that holds a cat by the tail learns something he can learn no other way." - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by taxmandan View Post
            The amount was not in box 1 but is in Box 3 & 5. The HR/payroll people say they've been doing it this way for 14 years and don't see what the problem is and ask why he is trying to start trouble. I was sure it belonged in 12 with code G and wanted to get a consensus from the board too. Thanks for the quick replies, have to see what HR/payroll is going to do.
            Hard to make a determination without all the details.

In NYS we have public employees who have 414(h) retirement contributions. Not in box 1 but in both box 3 & 5. Also in box 14 on the W-2 form. These contributions are not elective and don't qualify for the saver's credit. Thus you can see it's hard to give a definitive answer.

Comment

Working...
            X